Style

How to Feel Comfortable Taking Photos in Public

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

I have never liked taking photos in public, and the majority of my discomfort comes from the fact that it feels awkward and uncomfortable. I feel like everyone around me is judging and that I look self absorbed. I don’t know if I’ll ever be completely comfortable taking photos in public, but there are multiple tips and tricks that help.

One thing I learned is that it doesn’t hurt to bring a friend. Having another person there makes me feel less alone when taking photos, and it is beneficial that another person can take photos instead of having to do it alone. If you want to take photos alone of yourself, another tip I have is to be (or at least act) confident. If you act like nothing’s wrong, chances are other people won’t think twice about what you’re doing. People don’t care about what is going on as much as you think, and everyone understands how awkward it is to take photos in public. As long as no one is being loud or obnoxious, people will mind their own business. The thing I find the most difficult and uncomfortable is posing for the photos. It might help to look up poses ahead of time. Try out the poses alone before your photoshoot, even though it might seem weird. In front of a mirror you can see what looks good and what doesn’t. Hopefully these tips work so the next time you have take photos the only thing you have to worry about is looking good and having fun!

Hi, my name is Kalista Smiley. I'm currently a sophomore at the University of Kentucky majoring in digital media and design. My hobbies include hanging out with friends and family and doing any type of art project. I also really enjoy being active through hiking or working out. I currently live on campus, and I want to make my college years memorable!
Her Campus UK Contributor Account.