How To Do Spring Break On A Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

It is almost that time of the year when everyone’s Instagram feed is filled with blue water and foreign location. It will feel like nearly every college student will be somewhere exotic and surrounded by close friends. But how do they do it? How are college kids who are always complaining about having no money able to afford these extravagant trips?

Maybe they are a part of the lucky group who can afford these trips without any concern. But more than likely, they are funding the trip on a budget. Every college student should be able to enjoy at least one college spring break. It is something that you will not have the opportunity to experience once graduated from college and in the real world.  

But most of us cannot afford to drop big money on a week long trip. However, some good budgeting and thriftiness will help you fund a memorable trip.

The first question is whether you are going to fly or drive? Driving is typically the best bet, especially if you load up one car to go. However, not every where is accessible by car. If you are flying, check the website kiwi.com. It will provide you with the cheapest flights to and from your destination on the dates you choose. You will most likely fly on Frontier or Allegiant. These flights are not the most luxurious, but you will get where you are going for the right price.

Okay, so you arrived at your destination. Where are you staying? Hotels can get pricey, so check out Airbnb. These are like condos that people rent out to guests. You can find some pretty sweet deals no matter where you are staying. However, some places do not always have Airbnbs so a hotel might be your best bet. Even with some online digging you will be able to find somewhere that offers the right price.

Bonus tip: try to find somewhere that is close to what you want to do with walking distance. This will cut down on driving! Also get a place that has some kind of food storage or counter so you can make meals for breakfast and lunch. Save the money spending on food for dinner!

So you are set with transportation and sleeping accommodations. Now it is time for the fun stuff! The best advice I have for this is to plan ahead of time and do not fly off the seat of your pants. Plan each day accordingly so you are not running around the place you are visiting. If you are doing things where you need to pay money, see if there are any discounts available. That way, you get the most for your money.

Planning the perfect spring break trip can be expensive and time consuming. However, some tips and tricks can make having a trip of a lifetime one that you will remember forever!

Megan Rohrbach is a senior at the University of Kentucky. She is majoring in print journalism and minoring in criminology. Her dream jobs include working for the FBI, book publishing and writing for a women's magazine. When she's not in class or writing, she can be found watching her favorite Netflix shows, taking lots of naps, raving about the Ohio State Buckeyes and trying out a new makeup look. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @themegmeg37.