Here Is My Advice: Take the Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

This is the last spring break I will ever have. As my college career ends, so do my spring vacations. In the last four years, I have only gone on two trips. The rest of my times has been spent at home relaxing. I have not taken advantage of my breaks because I did not want to, but because of the time and effort planning takes. Sure, I hated seeing my friends living their best lives in some cool travel spot while I sat in my bed in my house in Louisville.

But now that I am a senior and headed out to San Diego for a week with some of my best friends, I am realizing something: it is okay to take the trip.

College is supposed to be one of the best times of our lives. Movies constantly hype up the idea that college is going to be fun 24/7 and that every day will be filled with memories. Well, everyone in college knows that is a total lie. College is stressful. You are either in class, doing work for class or stressing about class. I have even had nightmares about missing a class or an exam. College literally haunts every aspect of your life when you are busy.

So when it comes to spring break, taking time to relax and enjoy life a little is key. When I say take a trip, it does not mean to blow all your money on a week in Bora-Bora. A trip can be anything from visiting a friend at another school or taking a short weekend trip. What I am saying is that it is okay to treat yourself a little bit and enjoy life.

Once you graduate from college, you do not get any more Spring Breaks. You get to work every day with an allotted amount of time off. You do not have the ability to spontaneously take a trip to where ever you want to go. After college, work becomes your life.

So take this time to get away. Go visit a friend at another school or take a weekend trip to the mountains. Go to the beach for a few days. Explore your own city. There are a million ways to take a trip without spending a ton of money. If you want to spend a lot of money, great, it is yours to spend.

No matter how small the trip, a trip is still a trip. Make the most of your time while you still can because pretty soon you will be stuck in the never-ending black hole of work. You will not be able to see your friends whenever or go wherever at any time. Before you know it, you will be graduated from college and the opportunity to be spontaneous will end.

So take advantage of the time you have now and just take the trip.

Megan Rohrbach is a senior at the University of Kentucky. She is majoring in print journalism and minoring in criminology. Her dream jobs include working for the FBI, book publishing and writing for a women's magazine. When she's not in class or writing, she can be found watching her favorite Netflix shows, taking lots of naps, raving about the Ohio State Buckeyes and trying out a new makeup look. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @themegmeg37.