Her Campus Writer, Allyson Vanatta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Name: Allyson Vannatta 

Age: 19

Year: Freshman

Major: Broadcast Journalism

Hometown: Waverly, Ohio

Her Campus: What is your position with Her Campus? 

Writer

Her Campus: How did you get involved with the club?

I got an email through the journalism listserv saying that Her Campus was looking for new writers, and I thought it would be a great opportunity to try something that I had never done before, so I took it.

Her Campus: What is your favorite part about being a writer?

My favorite part about being a writer is that I get to express myself, and my thoughts, and to hopefully have someone relate to it. I think it is so awesome to think that someone, somewhere might be going through something that I have written about and just really connect to what I said. Hopefully it can help them out and make them feel better in some way.

Her Campus: Any challenges? 

I am not the most creative person, so sometimes it is hard for me to come up with an idea and make it interesting enough that someone wants to take the time to actually read it, not just skim through. I really have to focus and put my heart into it if I want someone else to read it.

Her Campus: Are you involved in other clubs on campus? 

I am an active member of the sorority Delta Delta Delta.

Her Campus: What is your dream job?

I love all things entertainment, so my dream job is to be the host of E! News. I would also love to be one of the red carpet correspondents.

Her Campus: Hobbies?

Hanging out with friends, watching Netflix, and shopping.

Her Campus: Advice to new students?

Don’t let coming to college change who you are. You are going to be tempted with so many different things and you shouldn’t let older people peer pressure you to do things you don’t want to do. But, you should definitely go out of your comfort zone and try new things. College is about figuring out who you are and what you want out of life. So, don’t hold back. Do things that scare you, you`ll thank yourself for it later.

Her Campus: Favorite memory so far at UK?

My favorite memory so far here at UK definitely has to be meeting my best friend. Her name is Jordan, and we met during freshman orientation. We do almost everything together and we just really understand each other. It’s a really good feeling knowing that I have someone like her with me here for the next four years.

"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."