This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Name: Haley Blackburn  

Age: 18

Year: Freshman

Major: Journalism

• Hometown

Belfry, KY

• What is your position with Her Campus UK? (Staff writer, exec board position, etc.)?

Staff Writer  

• How did you get involved with Her Campus UK?  

Somehow Her Campus UK found my Instagram junior year of high school, so I had followed them for a few years before even coming to college. Then, at Campus Ruckus I saw their table and decided to use my love for writing to become a member of the staff.

• What is your favorite part about being a writer for Her Campus UK?

I really love the freedom that comes along with writing for Her Campus UK. You are free to voice your opinions and thoughts on basically any subject you have a personal connection with. It’s a great platform to make sure your voice is heard.

• What is your dream job?  

Considering that I’m pursuing a degree in journalism, I would actually love to be a travel writer or photojournalist for National Geographic. I also I have this strange longing to be an archeologist, so I’ve tacked on an anthropology minor just to see how that pans out.  

• What are your hobbies?

I love photography, and I also love community service. I feel that giving back to the community that provides for us everyday is a crucial part of keeping it balanced. I love to get involved with different nonprofit/ community service organizations across Lexington and some back home that provide our community with kindhearted gestures or events that help to make it a better place. In fact, I’m involved with a coed community service fraternity here on campus known as Alpha Phi Omega that partners with around 30 organizations in Lexington to volunteer.

• Coffee or tea? (Defend your answer)  

Okay, so I’m not a coffee person. I’m also not a hot tea person, but I am a sweet tea person. Sweet tea is the epitome of southern living. It is a staple for any type of  gathering. Having a wedding? Sweet tea. Having a baby? Sweet tea. Leaving for college? Sweet tea. Studying for finals? Sweet tea. It’s the cool refreshing drink that no southerner, myself included, could ever pass up.

• Any advice for new students whom might want to get involved in Her Campus UK?  

If you’re afraid of maybe putting your work out there, just do it. Take the first step. Your voice matters and Her Campus UK is a great way to speak up. Of course, there will be people who disagree, but there will also be people who agree and support you. Those are the people you write for.

• What is your favorite memory so far at UK?  

I volunteered with an organization in Lexington known as Radio Eye, which is a news broadcasting service that broadcast reading of current news and entertainment across the state for those who are visually impaired, and I worked there fundraiser back at the beginning of November. It was awesome to get to meet some of the people they serve and to see just what an influence the organization does. Also, I won a autographed Chris Stapleton album in the silent auction portion, so it doesn’t get any better than Chris Stapleton and community service.

Body photo provided by Haley Blackburn

Her Campus UK chapter Campus Correspondent. Senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in journalism and minoring in information studies. If you see me around campus I'm probably rocking a messy bun with a large coffee in my hand.
Haley is a sophomore Journalism major at the University of Kentucky with a minor in Environmental and Sustainability Studies. When she’s not writing, she spends her time watching lots of movies, hanging out with her amazing boyfriend, and doing service projects in the community.