HCUK Campus Cuties: Alpha Chi Omega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

UK welcomed its 14th sorority to campus this fall: Alpha Chi Omega!

According to Taylor Thesing, Alpha Chi’s resident consultant for the brand-new chapter, the National Panhellenic Conference (the governing body for all 26 NPC sororities) sends a bulletin to these member organizations each month, detailing which colleges and universities are looking to add another sorority to their Greek community on campus.

“UK wanted to bring a new sorority to campus, so Alpha Chi Omega presented to the university and we were selected to come here!” Thesing said, in an email interview.

“We are so thrilled to be here, because UK is such a wonderful school!”

Thesing, along with Ashley Strawser and Molly Schuneman, are here to help AXO at the University of Kentucky get started.

Thesing and Stawser will be living in Lexington for the duration of the 2015-2016 school year, while Schuneman will leave at the conclusion of the fall semester (she’ll be working on larger campus events, like Homecoming Week in October).

As far as sorority recruitment goes, Alpha Chi Omega participated in the first round of formal recruitment in August. After Open House, AXO withdrew and began its own recruitment process.

The consultants tabled for two weeks at various locations around campus, before interviewing those women who had expressed interest in becoming a member.

“We also had two events, one was an open event called ‘Life is Sweeter as an Alpha Chi’ and an invite-only event called ‘Picture Yourself an Alpha Chi.'” Thesing said.

Bid Day was held at Greek Park, located on campus, on September 12. AXO also had a party waiting to celebrate its new members! These women received gifts, also enjoying food, photos and music.

“The girls were also able to bond and get to know each other through ice-breaker games.”

Alpha Chi Omega is definitely looking forward to getting involved around campus, with events such as Homecoming and Keeneland’s College Scholarship Day.

“We also will be having a sisterhood retreat and an executive board transition this fall,” Thesing said.

To stay up-to-date with UK’s newest chapter on camapus, be sure to follow AXO on social media!

Facebook: Alpha Chi Omega at the University of KentuckyTwitter: @UK_AXOInstagram: UK_AXOPinterest: University of Kentucky Alpha Chi Omega

We’re so excited for Alpha Chi, and can’t wait to see what the year holds!!

Photo credits:

www.instagram.com

www.instagram.com

www.instagram.com

"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).