HCUK Campus Cutie: Mark Taylor, Jr.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Name: Mark L. Taylor, Jr 

Age: 21

Major: ISC (Public Relations), Communications minor

Hometown: Born in Birmingham, Ala., raised in Lexington, Ky.

Height: 6’1″

Relationship status: Single

Extracurricular activities you are involved in at UK: Student Activities Board

Favorite Movie: S.W.A.T/ Think Like A Man

Favorite Song: “Anything” by J. Cole

Favorite Food: Steak (medium-well)

Cats or Dogs? Dogs

Ideal First Date: My ideal first date would be a day out on the lake. One of my first passions before football was fishing. Being out on the water with a rod and reel is the best stress reliever for me. Add in a beautiful young lady that shares the same passion, or has never been fishing, is a GREAT added bonus. Aside from the great conversation, we would have to get to know each other; one thing I like to do is create memories. One benefit of being out on a lake is seeing some wildlife in its natural element. Combine that with a scenic sunset and you have the recipe for an over-the-top first date.

Favorite Female Celebrity: Rihanna & Taraji P. Henson (tough to decide)

Describe Yourself in 5 Words: Drake mixed with Kayne West (if I can go over 5 words. Kayne West by day, Drake a night)

Where is one place you would like to visit? Barbados 

What’s the most romantic thing you have done for a girl? I would say the most romantic think I’ve done came last year on Valentine’s Day. I bought a 4-ft. teddy bear with a dozen red roses and chocolate-covered strawberries. I typed up a letter stating the teddy bear was named “Leo” and he was in search of a new home, and one benefit of taking him in was the roses and strawberries. I found a box big enough to stuff all of these things in it and texted the girl, saying “Hey, I’m in a rush, but I had to drop off a box at your doorstep, can you open it and make sure that my shoes are in there?” The phone call she made afterwards was heartwarming.

Biggest fear: Not becoming the man my parents and grandmother see me to be.

Who is your role model? My five-year-old nephew. When he was born, I was still young and unsure how to be an uncle, but I’m thankful that God placed him on this Earth, because he’s helped me mature into a young man and has become my best friend.

If you had one superpower what would it be? The power to spread love.

If you found a genie and had three wishes, what would they be? End all racial tension in the world, free college for those who want to attend and one more wish to have three more wishes.

What are you most looking forward to during your time at UK? Exposure to different cultures and perspectives from what I’m accustomed to. I’m okay with stepping outside of my comfort zone to learn more about others.

What is one of your favorite quotes? “Life doesn’t always deal you the best hand to play with, but that shouldn’t stop you from winning that round.”

How did you feel when I approached you about being a Campus Cutie? I was excited and wanted the chance to help out.
I am a senior at the University of Kentucky working towards a major in Business and Organizational Communications and a Media Arts and Studies minor. I love scheduling every moment of the day; this includes, but is not limited to, long walks on the beach, horseback riding into the sunset and being a mix of northern sass with southern class.
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).