Harvey Weinstein and His Long List of Accusers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo By Joshua Willson

GEORGETOWN, Ky. – Harvey Weinstein, a renowned film producer, has been fired from his own company amidst a piling 32 accusations of sexual harassment and allegations.

Weinstein, who is also a former film director and co-chairman of The Weinstein Company, was recently fired early October 2017 from his positions following accusations of sexual harassment and sexual allegations against him.

Weinstein and his brother, Bob, created The Weinstein Company in 2005, after he left Miramax, to have their own company.

Recently many women have come out against Weinstein claiming he has sexually harassed them.

One of the first instances was from almost 20 years ago. Ashley Judd, an American actress, was offered an invitation to the Peninsula Beverly Hill hotel for what he said was a business breakfast. He had Judd sent to his room where he was wearing a bathrobe and asked if she wanted a massage or to watch him shower.

In 2014 Emily Nestor, as well as one of Weinstein’s assistants, was given the same offer by Weinstein. He told both women upon compliance he would boost their careers.

The New York Times began an investigation into sexual assault or sexual harassment claims against Weinstein and discovered 30 years worth of accusations from the time Weinstein worked at both Miramax and the Weinstein Company, from the 1990’s to early 2000’s.

More than a dozen of Weinstein’s current and former employees say they knew of his inappropriate behavior though never attempted to stop it.

As of today 32 women have publicly accused Weinstein of sexual harassment including Judd, Nestor and many other women such as Cara Delevingne, Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow.

After more women’s accusations piled up, Weinstein was effectively removed from The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on Saturday by an astonishing vote that was “well in excess of the required two-thirds majority.”

His wife Georgina Chapman has announced she will be leaving Weinstein amidst allegations.

Weinstein said he knew “the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain and I sincerely apologize for it.”

Hannah Woosley is a senior at the University of Kentucky majoring in print journalism and minoring in history. She is a staff writer and co-editor for Her Campus UK. She is also a columnist and assistant opinions editor for UK’s student-run school newspaper, The Kentucky Kernel. In her free time, she enjoys being outdoors hiking, swimming and practicing yoga. She adores animals and has two, six-year-old cats. You can catch Hannah writing an article, watching her favorite shows on Netflix, drinking an iced coffee or enjoying some time outdoors.