photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Experiencing College as an Early High School Grad; Pros and Cons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Going to college is a hallmark accomplishment of a lot of people’s lives, and for some they’ve been dreaming of it their whole lives.

I hadn’t been one to plan how I wanted my entire college experience to be or even a dream school, but I knew I’d be going. I have always been invested in my education and doing particularly well in school, and that was at least for two reasons.

The first was because my mom was a teacher and I didn’t want her ‘going out bad’ and the second, equally as important, reason was because I truly enjoyed gaining knowledge on most topics.

With all this in mind, I excelled rather effortlessly in K-­8 grades and made my way into high school, ready to conquer all. With the help of my mom, who taught at the same school, working with administration and my determination I managed to graduate a whole year early.

Now that I’ve finished my first full year of undergrad, I have set aside time to reflect on different pros and cons that have accompanied being an early graduate.

THIS ISN’T A HOW TO ON EARLY GRADUATION… It’s simply what to consider after you’ve found your route there. If you’re interested in early graduation or feeling like you’re in some sort of slump due to early graduation keep reading.

Pros associated with early graduation:

You save yourself some time!

The obvious reason of graduating ahead of your intended time is that you are getting ahead and accelerating the time it takes to get to more meaningful positions within your journey. I felt great getting to omit some of the time in high school because after a while it truly got boring.

You prove your endurance

Early graduation is indeed an accolade that looks appealing to universities and professional workspaces. Doubling up on classes, retaining multiple skills and keeping up with life itself can seem impossible to some and the fact that you’ve accomplished it is noteworthy to your ability to get things done!

● You get to challenge and explore your interests early on

Once you get to college, you get the opportunity to make so many networks and encounters. You also have a broader atmosphere to navigate more freely in whatever you believe your social and career oriented interests are.

I strongly encourage joining national clubs, organizations and even your desired career fields while you have the time to experiment. It seems a little daunting initially, but you honestly will gain more confidence in the spaces you want to be in when you finally get involved.

Cons associated with early graduation:

You MAY lose the ability to get some scholarships

This is only dependent upon how you are classified when you graduate. For most high school students, you now have the option to take AP and Dual Credit courses. Of course the opportunity to free college credit is amazing but tread carefully and do your research so you are eligible for the maximum rewards possible.

I took 10 or 12 credits through a dual enrollment program and ended up fine, but getting an associates degree or doing any early college program could’ve left me a different financial assistance outcome.

You lose the opportunity to some senior activities

If you decide to graduate at an earlier rate than a traditional time frame, you risk missing some features of your senior year. It’s said that high school senior year is filled with memorable, unforgettable moments but it’s really up to you to decide what moments you wouldn’t regret.

I fortunately got to attend two proms, participate in senior nights, and be apart of the social events associated with my last year. Take in consideration that you cannot remake those kind of memories anywhere else, but if they don’t appeal to you either then don’t let others persuade you to stick around for them.

Individual responsibility waits for no one

Once you graduate high school, there is no going back! I can’t stress enough how vital self accountability is. You have to come to college with the certainty that you can continue to stay on top of your work ethic and keep up with the ideologies important to you. College requires you to be resourceful and also stay true to yourself!

The Age Inhibitor

If you are in between 17 and 18 going to college, know that you will face minor inconveniences and annoyances along the way. This can range from having to call your mom just for a clinic appointment, not being able to get into parties, having a friends joke about you being a “baby” and so on. I went into my first semester at 17 years old, and it wasn’t anything terrible but as stated you just get ANNOYED!

Wholistically speaking, I’ve never been so happy with a decision in my life. Just remember when making your decision, all things you do in life come with challenges and perks. If you are currently facing any of the disadvantages characteristics of your process, keep pushing!

I'm Jazmyn, an ATLien with a passion for makeup, good communication and cute pictures!