yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Events and Activities Around Lexington to Get You in the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo courtesy of pexels.com

Halloween is almost upon us and by now you have more than likely completed your midterm exams and papers and you are looking for something fun to do with friends, family or significant other. But on the other hand you are also a broke college student. 

Do not settle for staying in and watching scary movies on Netflix by yourself. Here are a few events and activities that are happening around Lexington that will not break your wallet and are a heck of a lot better than attempting to watch a movie while connected to the crappy campus Wi-Fi.

Thriller and Halloween Parade:

When: Sunday Oct. 29

If you have finished up your homework on Sunday night and are looking to escape from the library for a couple of hours, head to downtown Lexington for the annual Halloween Parade and “Thriller” performance. The parade is set to start at 8 p.m. and the “Thriller” performance will follow at 8:30 p.m. Both events will start at Quality and Main St. and will end at Mill St. 

Wicked World Scare Grounds:

When: The entire month of October until the 31st.

A lot of people (not me) enjoy getting the living day lights scared of out them for fun. If you are one of those people, head on over to 5817 Tates Creek Rd to the Wicked World Scare Grounds. The park has three different haunted houses on site and are 13 dollars a piece to enter. Although if you are planning on going to this scare park, try your best to go early to beat the long lines. Wait times could be up to two hours during the peak business hours between 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. Hours: 7:30 p.m. – Midnight – Friday and Saturday, 7:30 p.m. – 10 p.m. – Thursday and Sunday

HalloWhinny Fall Festival:

When: Sunday Oct. 29 Who does not love a good, hometown, genuine, fall festival? I know I am a sucker for one. The HalloWhinny Fall Festival will be held at the Kentucky Horse Park from 1 p.m. – 6 p.m. on the 29th. This festival will have tons of food trucks and craft beer, as well as a costume contest and a marshmallow roasting. General Admission is 20 dollars for adults and 9 dollars for kids ages 6-12.

Cemetery Crawl at the Kentucky Horse Park

When: Saturday Oct. 28 and Sunday Oct. 29

Also happening at the Kentucky Horse Park is a Cemetery Crawl that includes tours of four different cemeteries and historic houses that will definitely send a chill down your spine. If you are fascinated by family histories and potentially haunted graves and houses, this tour is perfect for you. Tour times are at 4:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. The tour price is 15 dollars. 

Her Campus UK chapter Campus Correspondent. Senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in journalism and minoring in information studies. If you see me around campus I'm probably rocking a messy bun with a large coffee in my hand.