Emily in Paris is the Perfect Series to Binge Watch this Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

When I first saw the trailer for “Emily in Paris” on my Netflix home screen and saw the words “From the Creators of ‘Sex and the City,’” I knew I had to watch this show. 

While “Emily in Paris” definitely isn’t the next “Sex and the City,” it is a happy medium between “The Carrie Diaries” and “Sex and the City.” Not only does “Emily in Paris” pick up right where “Sex and the City” left off – with “An American in Paris” (the title of the “SATC” finale) – the series share the same creator (Darren Star) and costume designer (fashion icon, Patricia Field). 

Even, if you’ve never seen an episode of “Sex and the City,” you will love “Emily in Paris.” The entire series is filmed in Paris (even the scenes which were meant to be Chicago) and creator Darren Star told the New York Times he, “wanted to showcase Paris in a really wonderful way that would encourage people to fall in love with the city in a way that I have,” and it worked. In ten short episodes, “Emily in Paris” has made me want to pack my bags and move across the world – once I learn the language, of course (learning from Emily’s mistakes). 

“Emily in Paris” is the perfect escape from reality, especially right now while reality isn’t very pretty. The episodes are short enough that you could watch the entire first season on Netflix in a day. It is a true rom com full of fashion, travel, humor, cliches and romance. If you haven’t watched it yet, you definitely should.

Samantha is a junior studying Broadcast Journalism and Criminology at the University of Kentucky.