lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Disney Relationships That Won’t Work in Real Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Growing up I was like almost every girl out there — I wanted to be a princess like Cinderella or Jasmine.

I was more than in love with the idea of true love and being whisked away by prince charming. In a way I still am, and so are you, probably.

However, whenever I re-watch these movies I cannot help but find several errors in them.

I mostly have my AP Literature teacher to thank for that, and the horror of adulthood, obviously.

So, in no particular order here is a list of Disney relationships that would not work out in real life.

Cinderella and Prince Charming

Yes, Prince Charming has no fault. He was just a lonely prince in search of a true princess who was captivated by nothing but the beauty of Cinderella. After just a brief encounter he was madly in love her and sought after her with the shoe she left behind.

Ok!

Their encounter itself is already a good enough reason for why this relationship would fall apart.

She lied to get into the ball, and generally lied about her identity. The Prince Charming only noticed her because she stood out in a gorgeous dress and was beautiful. They danced and talked, and she left because Cinderella believed Prince Charming would not accept her for who she is. He did not search the entire kingdom for her.

Rephrase: He had the Grand Duke search for her while his entitled a** stayed in the castle, chilling.

They eventually marry and live happily ever after.

Maybe. Maybe not.

She married a wild card. She might have her freedom from her step-mother and step-sisters, but what kind of prison did she have step in with a man she does not know?

Aurora and Prince Philip

Sleeping Beauty!

Who does not love Sleeping Beauty growing up?

A 16-year-old who slept for 100 years and was woken up by a handsome prince with whom she would rule her kingdom alongside. With the way my life is going right now I would be happy being in sleeping beauty’s shoes.

The only issue with this relationship is timing. She just woke up from a 100 -ear slumber to find that everyone she ever knew is dead.

She has a whole kingdom she has to rule. She has to adjust to the world that has changed over the 100 years she has been asleep, and she is 16!

Right now is not really a good time to jump into a new relationship.

Jasmine and Aladdin

This is a peculiar “princess and the pauper” fall-in-love situation. So, they actually get to really know one another. They do not just jump in love, they gradually fall in love like any other relationship in real life.

This relationship could actually work. Except…

Aladdin is a notorious liar.

He lies about being a prince so he can be accepted by Jasmine.

I understand why he did, because why would a princess want to marry a street rat like him? However, she confronted him about it and he still lied!

Lies. Lies. Lies.

The foundation of their relationship is built on lies. Realistically, how long can their relationship really last?

Ariel and Prince Eric

Ah, The Little Mermaid.

No. Just no.

Love at first sight. That is acceptable I guess, unless you get a little obsessive the way Ariel did.

She sees him once, falls in love with him, talks to his statue like a psychotic stalker and gives up her voice just to meet him.

First, no girl should ever give up her talent or gift in order to be with any man.

Ariel rearranges her entire life to be with a man she loves. How can she be in love him, though? They have had one conversation, and he was unconscious.

Sure this story has a happy ending, but in real life I would be beyond surprised if they last more than a date.

Abby Olaleye is a junior at the University of Kentucky. I'm currently majoring in Biosystems Engineering with a minor in Biomedical Engineering. I'm a writer for HerCampus because writing is fun and a better way to procastinate.