Different Ways to Style a Plaid Shirt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

You see that plaid shirt in your closet and say, “Okay, I can wear this with jeans today,” and that is all you ever wear together as an outfit. But there are MANY ways to wear a plaid shirt that you may not have thought of! You can dress up a plaid shirt, dress one down or go super comfy with it. Here are some awesome ideas I have thought of overtime to wear my plaid shirts in more than just one way:

Casual Outfits

• Under a cardigan with jeans

• Under a sweatshirt with jeans and boots

• Unbuttoned with a shirt underneath and a skirt or jeans

Dress it Up

• Over a dress

• Tucked into a skirt

Make it Comfy

• Over leggings and tennis shoes

Do not forget the accessories and shoes too! They are such an important part of your outfit that will also help create different looks. So, switch it up with boots, flats, heels or sneakers and scarves, necklaces, statement earrings, clutches and more!

Now that you have at least six different outfits for different occasions with only ONE shirt I am sure there are plenty more outfits to discover, so just be creative, mix and match and create your own look!

Cover Photo By Meireles Neto

Body Photos provided by Hannah Woosley

Hannah Woosley is a senior at the University of Kentucky majoring in print journalism and minoring in history. She is a staff writer and co-editor for Her Campus UK. She is also a columnist and assistant opinions editor for UK’s student-run school newspaper, The Kentucky Kernel. In her free time, she enjoys being outdoors hiking, swimming and practicing yoga. She adores animals and has two, six-year-old cats. You can catch Hannah writing an article, watching her favorite shows on Netflix, drinking an iced coffee or enjoying some time outdoors.