A Definitive Ranking of the Best and Worst Looks from the Academy Awards’ Red Carpet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

The Oscars: Hollywood’s biggest night of glitz and glamour.

Every year, we glue ourselves to the TV, watching Giuliana Rancic and Kelly Osborne discuss the best and worst dressed on the red carpet. Judging from this year’s spectacle, there were a lot of successes, but plenty of fails.

Below is a definitive ranking of the top ten best and worst looks from the 87th Academy Awards.

Top 10 Best Dressed

10). Margot Robbie

Flawless. Absolutely stunning. The dress is unbelievable and I am green with envy over her ability to pull off a plunging neckline. But, what’s more unbelievable is the art-deco piece around her neck, which was orginally created for the Duchess of Windsor (casually worth 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS). Margot, you are chic and you can sit with us.

9). Zoe Saldana

Hey, remember that time Zoe JUST HAD TWINS? You’d never know it looking at her last night. I love this dress; I think it compliments her post-baby body so well. The color compliments her skin tone beautifully. Truthfully, I’m just awestruck at the fact she looks this good after popping out two kids. Claps for you, Zoe.

8). Lupita Nyong’o

Classic Lupita, killin’ it on the red carpet. No explanation necessary. Fun fact: the dress was made using more than 6,000 pearl beads. 

7). Dakota Johnson

The number seven spot goes to Miss Anastasia Steele. I LOVE this dress. It’s elegant and simple and shows off her body in all the right places. My ONLY complaint is her hair: everyone was saying they loved how “Dakota” her ponytail was, but this is the Oscars… try a little. Her dress and makeup are effortless though. 

P.S. She stole a flogger from the set of 50 Shades: life goals.

P.P.S

You’ve come along way, Miss Steele.

6). Faith Hill

White was really hot at this year’s Oscars and I’m not complaining. Faith showed off her neckline and her new haircut, and I love both, landing her number 6 on our list.

5). Anna Kendrick

Tbh, I think Anna Kendrick is overrated, but I’ll let bygones be bygones and admit she looked really good this weekend. This color is really pretty and summer-y, and her hairstyle meshes perfectly with the gown. 

This actually made me laugh. I too like brown liquor, so maybe I was wrong about Anna Kendrick after all.

4). Carmen Ejogo

Perfection at its finest. Like I said, white was hot this year. Love the gown, love the statement necklace even more. Claps for Carmen.

3). Julianne Moore

Best Actress Julianne Moore gets our number three spot, rocking the hell out of this custom Chanel garb, which took 927 hours to make. 927 hours. That’s how long it takes to dress an Oscar winner. Julianne later admitted she was a cougar (5 years older than her husband), which makes us love her even more.

2). Jennifer Aniston

Eat your heart out, Brad (still bitter).

1). Emma Stone

Number one goes to Emma Stone, because look at her. Everything flowed flawlessly. From the cut to the color to the beadwork, the gown is unbelievable. It takes a lot of guts to pull of Chartreuse, but Emma killed it. 

Just in case you missed it.

Top 10 Worst Dressed (a.k.a. the fun part)

10). Laura Dern

The dress isn’t HORRIBLE, but it still looks like 15th century chainmail. My biggest issue is the hair; I CAN’T SEE YOUR FACE, LAURA. Move the bangs.

9). Lady Gaga

I’m putting Lady Gaga higher on this list, because she redeemed herself in her tribute to Julie Andrews and The Sound of Music. Thank God she did, because this was a trainwreck that sparked an Internet frenzy.  Apparently, Gaga was doing the dishes prior to coming to the red carpet.

But, then she did this and everything was right in the world again. Still slightly disappointed Julie Andrews didn’t pay homage to Gaga via meat dress singing Just Dance, but I guess I’ll let it slide.     

8). J. Lo

That’s really all I have to say about that. People were RAVING about this dress and I don’t get it. Yes, J. Lo is 45 and the Benjamin Button of Award Ceremonies, forever looking 20. But, I really hate this gown; she looks like a cupcake with cleavage.

7). Felicity Jones

This dress was sneaky. The top is gorgeous. The bottom… not so much. If they just finished what they started up top, this dress could have been a knockout. Instead, it looks like Cinderella gone wrong and I am not a fan.

6). Chloe Grace Moretz

This meme explains it all. Chloe channeled her inner American Girl/Grandmother’s bedspread. The only plus was the pockets. 

5). Keira Knightley

Keira, what happened? I get you’re pregnant, but everyone knows celebrity baby bumps are chic. So, why are you hiding under your grandmother’s curtains? Did you and Chloe plan this frumpy-floral look together? What do all those French words mean? So many questions; this dress is a mystery that needs to be solved.

4). Gwyneth Paltrow

GWYNETH, YOU’RE BETTER THAN THIS.

3). Solange Knowles

Someone save Solange. She’s drowning in her pantsuit.

2). Scarlett Johansson (despite what John Travolta thinks)

As an avid ScarJo fan, she really let me down with this one. The Versace dress itself isn’t the problem here (it’s actually quite flattering); it’s that stupid necklace. Kudos to her though, because she just had a baby, too. But, this get-up just isn’t doing it for me. Lose the necklace and earrings, and maybe do something a little different hair, and it would be a win.

1). Nicole Kidman

Ladies and gentlemen: we have a worst-dressed winner. The hottest of messes goes to Nicole Kidman. What is happening here? The dress is awful; I’m not even sure what color it’s supposed to be. The red belt is even worse. No comment on her clutch.

Overall, this completely missed the mark, landing Kidman our number one worst dressed Oscar attendee.

Honorable Mentions

Dana Perry and her “ballsy” outfit choice; my cat would go NUTS with that shawl.

Tegan and Sara: Everything BUT awesome…

Picture Credits:

thezoereport.com

www.buzfeed.com

www.mtv.com

Jersey girl who loves cats, a good book, and most importantly- the University of Kentucky.
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).