Bridgerton Take Two: A Season of Slow Burn and Prolonged Eye Contact

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Dearest gentle readers, the time has come once again for this author’s favorite season. Mayfair will once again be abuzz with this season’s eligible ladies and their over-eager mamas. There are so many splendid things to look forward to: who will be this season’s diamond, how many weddings will we see, will any be a true love match, and this author’s personal favorite, what scandal will be unearthed? If last social season taught us anything, it’s that true love can overcome any obstacle, but the question remains: are we willing to put up a fight? 

The trailer for Bridgeton season two had me so excited to see what Kate and Anthony’s story would bring. I fell in love with Simon and Daphne’s story from season one, so I had my doubts that this season could live up to the high bar from the previous one. I thought using the enemies to lovers trope was an incredibly smart move for Anthony and Kate. They are two strong, stubborn characters, so it would make sense they do not get along at first. They have to get to know one another and realize how similar they actually are. They have gone through life in a similar fashion: the oldest sibling feeling like they replaced the parent who died too soon. Kate and Anthony have hardened themselves and sworn off love in their own separate ways. It takes one another to realize that falling in love can be frightening and leave you vulnerable, but it is a risk worth taking for the right person. 

However, they certainly do not learn this lesson quickly. Unlike last season, this one uses a much slower-burn between our lead couple. They do not think with their heart or give into desires. In other words, this season had far less sex and way more eye contact. Although some people were against this, I found it perfect for Kate and Anthony’s story. There is an intimacy in those longing looks and grazes of the hand that made the actual sex scenes far more gratifying for the viewer. This season relied on Jonathan Bailey and Simone Ashley’s, Anthony and Kate respectively, pure chemistry to come across on screen, and it did not disappoint. They were able to create unparalleled intimacy with their clothes on and then yes, with their clothes off. 

If there was anything I would have changed about season two, it would be the amount of time allocated to the side storylines of the show. I wish we had seen less of Penelope and the Featherington’s and more of Kate and Anthony. I felt like in season 1, the main focus was Daphne and Simone, and while the main couple of season two is Kate and Anthony, their story has less screen time in comparison. I am happy to hear that both Kate and Anthony will be in season 3. Hopefully, we will get to see far more of the Viscount and Viscountess as the next Bridgerton sibling, Benedict, looks to make his match.

I am currently a Sophomore at the University of Kentucky majoring in Marketing and Integrated Strategic Communication. I love reading, graphic design, movies and discovering new vinyl records.