This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Netflix continues to have success after success in the art of turning a novel into a Netflix Original. Shows like “Firefly Lane” and “The Queen’s Gambit” were both books before turned into Netflix shows. “Bridgerton” is based on the first book of Julia Quinn’s series on the Bridgerton siblings. “Bridgerton” has become a phenomenon in its own right with over 82 million accounts streaming the show in its first month. This makes it the biggest series ever on Netflix. With success like this, it is only natural that the streaming service will continue adapting page to screen. Here is a list of the top five books to read before they become a Netflix Original.

1. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

This novel is set during World War II and tells the story of a blind French teenager named Marie-Laure. Her path collides with a German soldier named Werner. Both meet in occupied France. Doerr won a Pulitzer Prize for his work. Shawn Levy, director of “Stranger Things,” is handling the production of this project.

2. Anatomy of a Scandal by Sarah Vaughn

This book centers around two women and a man caught in a very public scandal. James, a politician, is accused of rape and his wife, Sophie, believes he is innocent. Kate is prosecuting James and believes he is guilty. The series is set to star Michelle Dockery, Rupert Friend, and Sienna Miller. It comes to Netflix Fall 2021.

3. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Netflix gained the rights to Lewis’ seven Narnia books and has plans to turn them into a series or movie. While Disney has adapted three of the Narnia books, the reaming four have never been put to screen. Although there are seven books to this series, you will fly right through them. “The Chronicles of Narnia” are easy reads and full of fantastical story-telling and rich symbolism. Hopefully whatever Netflix does with Lewis’ series, it will capture the magic of his books.

4. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

“Shadow and Bone” is part of a trilogy of fantasy books set in the Russian- inspired land of Ravka. It is narrated by Alina Starkov, a teenager, whose world is turned upside down when she harnesses a power, she never knew she had. The show is set to premiere in April of 2021. Netflix has already released a trailer for the show that stars Ben Barnes who played Prince Caspian in two of Disney’s “The Chronicles of Narnia” movies.

5. The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

This movie has been pushed back time and time again, but Netflix recently announced a new release date of May 2021. This film incudes an all-star cast of Julianne Moore, Gary Oldman and Amy Adams as the lead character. It follows Adams’ character who is an agoraphobic in New York who beings to spy on her neighbors. This spying leads to her witnesses an act of violence.

I am currently a Sophomore at the University of Kentucky majoring in Marketing and Integrated Strategic Communication. I love reading, graphic design, movies and discovering new vinyl records.
Her Campus UK Contributor Account.