Book Review: “Tear This Heart Out” By Ángeles Mastretta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

Every semester when classes begin students know the drill by now; the first day of class the professor passes out the syllabus, we go over expectations as a group and then we all find at least one assignment we know we will dread completing.

That is how I came across what I now consider one of my favorite books I have ever read, “Tear This Heart Out” by Mexican author Ángeles Mastretta. The original book is written in Spanish, entitled “Arrancame la Vida,” but translated to English.

Mastretta brilliantly ties a story of a young girl who marries a man with political ambitions alongside Mexican history during the Mexican Revolution.

Now I know your first thought… A nearly 300-page novel set during the Mexican Revolution? How could this possibly be interesting? Believe me, I had the same thoughts.

I was only approximately 20 pages in when I was hooked. I could not put this novel down.

“Tear This Heart Out” begins with a naïve girl, Catalina, who comes from a campesino (peasant) family falling in love with a man quite older than her. Mastretta portrays, in detail, their rollercoaster of a relationship from abuse, murder, adultery and much, much more that it is hard to put the book down because you never know what will happen on the next page.

This novel is also VERY important because during the Mexican Revolution women’s perspectives, ideas and roles were NOT typically shown. Women were bypassed to give men the pedestal, but this book shows just the opposite. This is a common theme in Mastretta’s books.

And the ending is a complete shocker.

I rarely come across a book I thoroughly enjoy that is tied with history but this is definitely an exception.

If you are interested in Mexican history, women’s roles in Mexico or feminism, this book is for you!

Hannah Woosley is a senior at the University of Kentucky majoring in print journalism and minoring in history. She is a staff writer and co-editor for Her Campus UK. She is also a columnist and assistant opinions editor for UK’s student-run school newspaper, The Kentucky Kernel. In her free time, she enjoys being outdoors hiking, swimming and practicing yoga. She adores animals and has two, six-year-old cats. You can catch Hannah writing an article, watching her favorite shows on Netflix, drinking an iced coffee or enjoying some time outdoors.