This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

We’re fresh into March, leaving an ever so eventful February behind. This year, the fact that February had an extra day (thanks leap year) was the least of my concerns. Instead, I was intrigued by the chain of racial events that occurred as we explored Black History in the designated month.

Now, we all know February is Black History Month. That alone screams CONTROVERSY!!! Nothing fuels the fire better than Hollywood and (of course) media to feed it to us.

When it comes to Hollywood, media have been buzzing. My community was inflamed when African American, actress, Stacey Dash spoke, on a television interview, her beliefs on Black History Month and Black establishments. Though, it is perfectly fine to express your own opinions, I didn’t like that she was speaking on our behalf. If you aren’t familiar with what she said, basically, she said there shouldn’t be a Black History Month or Black establishments such as BET because it is only further segregating us from the majority. While this is a valid argument that I’ve heard many people make (particularly white people- just from my own experience), I’m going to tell you why that is not the case. I understand what people are saying, if establishments and months were called “White blah blah blah” we’d be in outrage. This is so true. An online firestorm sparked when a college in Oregon even proposed the implementation of “Whiteness History month” that is to be held in April. I get the argument completely.

But people are not thinking critically. We are not creating Black establishments and a month of history because we are trying to further segregate. If that was the case, we would have all went back to Africa and became kings and queens with Marcus Garvey long ago. I do agree that we should not have Black History month. In fact, it saddens me that we do. This is because it is so necessary. I am not interested in a White history month because that is the default. All through the educational system, we are a taught a white man’s history through the lens of a white man. It is a shame that my ancestors who were enslaved to give free labor that, arguably built this country, only get a month (and the shortest month of the year at that) to recognize the influential things we have done, places we have built, and contributions we have made in which would have been neglected otherwise. Conspiracy? I think so. I believe if this country wants to be so inclusive we must incorporate “Black history” “Hispanic history”, “Native American history”, etc. into our curriculum. Though we are the minorities, we all have contributed and impacted this country. Our history IS American history. But until that day comes, we are required to have Black History Month.

Even so, this month is unimpressive to me. We learn about the same three people in history. Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, and barely Harriet Tubman are NOT the only influential African Americans. Honestly, I feel as if the government gives us a little month and little piece of our history and expects us to shut up because they gave us something. Entering college I realized so much of my culture that has never been taught. Instead, we need not be satisfied by what they give us, but TAKE our ability into our own hands and go after that information. We never learn about the Rape Myth, when black men would get lynched for accusations of raping white women when in all actuality white men were raping black women with no remorse or consequence. We never learn about Lewis Latimer who created the filament inside the light bulb in which Thomas Edison’s previous attempts kept exploding. There is a lot we do not get taught and until we can inclusively incorporate black history and accept it as American history, good, bad or ugly, we MUST press on with Black History Month and challenge ourselves to not settle for the information given.

As far as black establishments goes, it’s the same deal. If we felt our needs were being met and that movies and shows were targeted with us in mind too, there would be no need for BET (Black Entertainment Television). BET and other establishments like it provide content for a minority audience while utilizing minority directed, produced, and casted productions. Without these establishments we wouldn’t have access to black shows and black actors, actresses, singers, dancers, producers, models, etc. like we do now. Even with all that, we are STILL being neglected.

A great example this month was the Oscars. There was so much controversy surrounding the award show because there was little to no black representation in the nominations. No nomination means no minorities having the chance to win. This is a problem, especially with critically acclaimed films and roles such as Creed that weren’t even considered. Do I think it was done on purpose? No. Well, not completely. I think there is still a strong institution of systematic racism that manifests during these times. Fortunately for millennials, social media is our biggest supporter. Social media made the biggest impact by perpetuating the #OscarsSoWhite campaign. Without social media, I honestly believe black actors/actresses would have gotten snubbed with no objection; brushed off like every other injustice we encounter.

In direct response to the #OscarsSoWhite controversy, Russell Simmons created the All Def Movie Awards which has been dubbed the “Black Oscars”.

“It’s not a protest. It’s a celebration, a celebration of people who otherwise would not be celebrated,” Simmons said.

This event featured many movies that were considered ground breaking this year about African or Black life/perspective. Simmons also made this comical and a good time while making a statement. This entire event serves my point. If we are going to be neglected and denied any accolades or even acknowledgement, we have no other choice but to create our own institutions. If we don’t service us, who will? Apparently NOT white Hollywood.

So next time you hear someone ask or you question yourself, “How can black people have all these institutions that are just black?” Let them know that we are not segregating ourselves. We are not racists. We are not difficult, but we will not be silenced and unappreciated. Until there stops being a NEED for social and racial justice. For media that connects with our audience. For award shows that celebrate our contributors. for people that appreciate our people. We will continue in our endeavors to LOVE US!

Photo Credits:

Google 

A Broadcast Journalism, Human Communication dual major, sophomore at the University of Kentucky. Really focuses on life through the African American Female perspective that is often lost.
"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."