Life > Experiences

The Best Things About Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

We are only a few weeks away now from the most magical holiday of the year: Christmas! Like many others, Christmas time has become one of my most favorite parts of the entire year filled with countless family traditions, love, joy and the spirit of giving. In honor of the greatest holiday, here are some of the best things about the Christmas season in my opinion.

• Bonding for Friends and Family

One of the best things about the Christmas season is that you get to spend more time with your family and friends during the month of December than any other month throughout the year. With the holiday comes many family get-togethers, Christmas parties, family dinners and gift exchanges among friends. The season brings us all closer together and allows us to take some time off work and school to relax and actually enjoy our loved ones.

• Christmas Music

Another amazing thing the Christmas season brings is the holiday music. I for one absolutely adore Christmas songs. Some of my all time favorite holiday tunes are Jingle Bell Rock, It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree and White Christmas. Christmas music just brings so much festiveness and cheer to our everyday lives and allows us to remember the reason for the season.

• Christmas Sweets

The copious amounts of sweets and desserts is another wonderful thing about the season. Calories do not count for the entire month of December, so you can indulge in all the gingerbread and sugar cookies you want. Baking cookies and making holiday desserts is a great family tradition for many and it is the one time of year that we get to bring out our inner Betty Crocker. The Peppermint Mocha drink at Starbucks, along with the other holiday drinks is another reason to love this time of year.  

• The Magic of the Season

The absolute best things about the Christmas season is just the magic that it brings for everyone. No matter your age, Christmas is the most magical time of year and it brings out the best in everyone. Seeing twinkling lights as you drive around at night, smelling fresh pine as you put up your tree and gathering around the dinner table with loved ones brings so much magic to the season. Joy and love are spread throughout the air during this season and it just brings a certain happiness for all. Also, the spirit of giving that Christmas brings can be magical too and not just giving presents, but giving back to your local community and helping those who are less fortunate than you is wonderful.

Christmas is a wonderful time of year and there are so many amazing things that the season brings. I want to wish you and your family Happy Holidays and a very Merry Christmas!

As junior at the University of Kentucky, I study Integrated Strategic Communication with a focus in Public Relations. I aspire to be a public relations professional for a healthcare facility that works to positively impact the lives of children, families and the community. My experience as a PR/Marketing intern at the UK International Center has helped me to gain valuable skills in creating promotional digital and print materials for an organization as well communicating to an organization's target audiences. My position as a Resident Advisor as also allowed me to grow my event planning, public communication and creative marketing skills. My top strengths include achiever, developer, futuristic, responsibility and learner.