Baking Soda: Major Key

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

My grandma lives by baking soda. She basically taught me that the answer (or major key) to most household hacks is baking soda. You got a stain on your shirt? Baking soda. Need to exfoliate? Baking soda. Fridge smelling? Baking soda.

Baking soda literally has so many benefits. So here’s some different ways to take advantage.

1.Stained shirt. Take a little water, a toothbrush and some making soda to the specific spot and treat it. Easy, peezy, lemon squeezy.

2.Quick face wash, mask or pimple cream. Sometimes I will use baking soda as a face wash, usually in the summer when my face is the oiliest. I will also apply baking soda with a splash of water to my face as a mask, let it dry and wash it off. Lastly, if I need some spot treatment I’ll make a thick baking soda paste (more soda, less water) and apply it to the spot or spots.

3.Smelly fridge. The fact that I typically keep baking soda in the fridge as an odor controller, it’s literally always available. Since I have more than one roomie, you never really know what that bag of gooey stuff is, how long its been in there and if/when it will start to smell. So play it safe and leave an opened container of baking soda in the back to handle that nastiness.

4.Pearly whites. At one point when I live a more holistic lifestyle I used baking soda as toothpaste. But now, I just use it to whiten once every two weeks.

So there you have it folks, take advantage of this household gold!

My name is Sydney E. Baker, but mostly people call me Slim. As a junior at the University of Kentucky, I am pursuing a B.A in Integrated Strategic Communication (a mouthful I know but I wouldn't have it any other way). During my studies, I am focused on building my professional self - which basically means staying so busy that I hardly get a wink of sleep. I previously served as the Campus Correspondent for the UK chapter of Her Campus and before that I was only a writer. To know more about me visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/sydneyebaker. 
"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."