Alpha Omicron Pi & Iota Phi Theta 17th Annual PiAthlon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Each spring semester the sisters of Alpha Omicron Pi and the brothers of Iota Phi Theta host their joint philanthropy event called PiAthlon. The money each organization raises from this event will go towards their respective national philanthropies. AOΠ’s money raised will go to arthritis research and Iota’s money raised goes towards the Iota Phi Theta Youth Alliance, which is a program for students in kindergarten through 12th grade to be mentored by the men of Iota with the ultimate goal of helping them get into college.

This year’s PiAthlon will take place Thursday, April 5, 2012 at the Goodbarn Field across from Commonwealth Stadium. The event begins at 5:00 p.m. and will conclude around 6:30.
PiAthlon is themed around “pi” events. Contests include pie-pong, wheel barrel races, the pudding pass, the pie making 3-legged race, pie-a-pal, and pudding wrestling.

In the pie pong contest you have 3 mini pie-tins in a triangle shape on each end of the table; the goal is to toss a ping pong ball with one hand into each tin on the opponents side of the table before they do, taking turns after each toss.

The wheel barrel race is like the classic game you played on the playground, but with a pie twist, at the end of your turn you must find the cherry in a pie before your partner can put you down.

The pudding pass is Nickelodeon’s Slime Time Live inspired- each member of the team wears a helmet with a cup on top, pudding is poured into the first cup and they must send the pudding down the line of helmets and into a pie tin, first team to fill the tin wins.

In the 3-legged race you run an obstacle course, stopping at different pie-making stations to completely make a pie with your partner.

At the pie-a-pal booth you can purchase a pie to cream a friend in the face for $1, for charity of course!
There is also an inflatable pool full of pudding and a member from each sorority or female non-Greek team and fraternity or non-Greek team wrestle each other to see who is the overall female winner and overall male winner through a sudden-death bracket style tournament.

UK junior and AOΠ member Laura Bland “I am so excited for PiAthlon this year, its our philanthropy event and every year it changes a little so its always new and fun, plus it benefits two great causes! This is my third year, and our second year with Iota and the first time doing it at Goodbarn field. I feel like it’s going to go really well and I can’t wait to see the turn out,” Bland said.

Gregory Eiden, a sophomore at UK and a member of Phi Sigma Kappa said he plans to attend the event as well.

“PiAthlon was awesome when I went last year, my best friend did pudding wrestling and it was pretty entertaining. I plan on going this year, it should be fun,” Eiden said.

To sign up for this event you need to form a team of 3-10 people. You can enter before the event or come out that day with your team and sign up. It is $25per team to register and everything is included except the pie-a-pal event.

Come out and support two great charities while have pie-filled fun with friends!

Rachael Gilley is in her junior year at the University of Kentucky, majoring in English and minoring in Psychology. Although she was born and raised in northwestern Ohio, she has spent the past seven years in Kentucky and is a Wildcat fan at heart. She hopes to travel the world for at least a few months before settling into a high school level teaching position upon graduating in 2014. Rachael is an avid book-reader, loves finding new music to blast in her car, and spending her Sunday afternoons learning more about yoga.