6 Best Non-lethal Self-Defense Products for Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

It is estimated that 35 percent of women worldwide have experienced either physical and/or sexual partner violence or sexual violence by a non-partner at some point in their lives. Whether we would like to admit it or not, the world is a scary place. After experiencing some scenarios of my own, I got very interested in self-defense. I think it is so important to share my top picks of the best non-lethal products to protect yourself and feel more comfortable when walking out alone.

1. Pepper or Bear Spray: This is probably the number one item women carry on campus or in public, and one of the most effective. I even found a cute pink one to hang on your wristlet or lanyard on Amazon.

2. Taser: While this is a little bulky, I tried to find one that was small enough to fit in a purse and still be powerful. There are a ton of different ones with different voltages, but I found one that comes in multiple colors, and it is about the size of a phone. It may seem excessive to carry, but this is only $10, and it could save your life.

3. Tactical Pen: I love these so much. It is a pen that actually writes, has a stylus for your phone AND is an awesome tool. Not only will this thing pack a punch against someone, but you can always use its power to break through car windows in the case of an emergency. Some pens even come with a DNA catcher so that your attacker will not get away easily.

4. Self-Defense Key Chain: I am currently obsessing with how cute, yet useful, this little keychain is. It definitely will pack a punch (see what I did there?). 

5. Personal Safety Alarm: I think these are really great. If you think you need help, simply push the button and an alarm will go off, getting attention drawn your way. I think you still need one of the products above with it, but this is still great.

6. Yourself: Self-defense classes are probably the best option on this list. There are a ton of free ones, so all you really have to do is show up and learn.

Taylon is a senior English student student at UK. She is both a Staff Writer and Social Media Director for Her Campus UK. She is involved in College Mentors for Kids as the Vice President of Fundraising, Sigma Tau Delta - English Honors Fraternity, and Robinson Scholars. Her go-to Starbucks drink is an iced cold brew with almond milk and two pumps of white chocolate mocha.