5 Reasons to Adopt, Not Shop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Everyone who knows me knows I am a huge advocate of adopting, not shopping, for a furry friend. In my short 21 years of life, I’ve had 3 cats and 2 gerbils — all adopted. I have never questioned my choice of heading to my nearest animal shelter and leaving with an animal in need, that may not have left if it had not been for my family and me.

There are plenty of reasons why adopting should be your go to, but here are 5 of the most important:

1. You’ll Save an Animals Life

And the word “save” is meant quite literally. Shelters can quickly overcrowd and if those animals are not adopted in a short manner of time, there’s nothing that can be done, unfortunately, besides euthanasia. Saving an animal is an extremely humbling choice that everyone should experience.

2. Less Money is Spent Adopting

Six years ago my dad adopted our cat Simba from a shelter at 8 weeks old. A lot of people think kittens are MUCH pricier than an adult cat, but our precious Simba was only $50. Two years ago in July, my family and I adopted our cat Baby. She was 4 years old and had only spent 10 days in the shelter when we saved her. The whopping cost of her adoption? $21. The combined cost for two of our beloved cats, that are now healthy, happy and enjoy life cage free, was $71. $71 that we never regret spending.

3. You’ll Put a Stop to Puppy Mills

If you go to your local pet store to “adopt” a pet, you are probably unknowingly supporting puppy mills. Puppies are bred in horrid conditions, live their entire lives in cages and have no sense of love or compassion, then are given to these pet shops to be sold. The money made from selling these puppies in stores is given back to puppy mill owners, therefore supporting their actions.

4. Most Shelters Include Additional Services in the Adoption Fee

I’ve often heard the argument, “But I’ll have to pay to spay/neuter, microchip and vaccinate.” Wrong! Most animals that come from shelters are kept up to date with all vaccinations needed and are spayed or neutered. Micro-chipping, on the other hand, may not be included in the cost BUT this is something that is not exactly required to have a healthy, happy animal.

5. The Simple Satisfaction That You Saved a Life

Don’t think of this as selfish, think of this as a positive! You helped save an animal from euthanasia, and in turn you have earned a new best friend. Nothing can beat that feeling!

Enjoy some pictures of my happy, healthy, playful shelter babies!

Hannah Woosley is a senior at the University of Kentucky majoring in print journalism and minoring in history. She is a staff writer and co-editor for Her Campus UK. She is also a columnist and assistant opinions editor for UK’s student-run school newspaper, The Kentucky Kernel. In her free time, she enjoys being outdoors hiking, swimming and practicing yoga. She adores animals and has two, six-year-old cats. You can catch Hannah writing an article, watching her favorite shows on Netflix, drinking an iced coffee or enjoying some time outdoors.