5 Questions College Students Never Want to be Asked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Dear relatives, I know we haven’t seen each other in a few months, maybe longer. But that doesn’t give you an excuse to ask me the insanely annoying questions you feel you need to ask me every time we see each other. As a college student here is a list of questions I don’t want to hear you ask me when I’m home for the holidays. 

5. “How’s school?” 

Really? Is that all you could come up with? The answer is: the same as always! There is lots of Homework, lots of group projects, and counting down the days until graduation. Honestly, the question is awkward. We don’t want to answer it and deep down you don’t want to ask it. 

4. “When do you graduate?” 

Please don’t remind us that we have another year or two more semesters to go. Just know that we will send you an invite or an announcement as soon as graduation gets close. 

3. “Are you seeing anyone?” 

First, if I were you’d know. In many families, just like mine, word travels quickly. So, no need to ask, if you haven’t been told then assume the answer is no. Second, I have a job, school, and friends. Here’s a question: when would I make time for a significant other? 

2. “What are your plans after graduation?” 

Ahhhh!! That’s a very scary question and the answer is: I don’t know! We college students aren’t thinking about that and if we are, we sit in the corner with a bottle of wine and cry until we feel better. 

1. “How are your grades?” 

Please don’t ask me that. I sincerely don’t check my grades enough to know off the top of my head and I’m home for the holidays I don’t want to think about my grades, especially if they aren’t good. 

Now you know what not to ask. I’m asking you nicely not to ask these questions. The situation is already awkward lets not make it worse. Sincerely, Sammy and every other college student to ever live.

Hey I'm Samantha. Senior at University of Kentucky Graduating in December 2016 From Northern Kentucky Aspiring writer and public relations specialist
My name is Sydney E. Baker, but mostly people call me Slim. As a junior at the University of Kentucky, I am pursuing a B.A in Integrated Strategic Communication (a mouthful I know but I wouldn't have it any other way). During my studies, I am focused on building my professional self - which basically means staying so busy that I hardly get a wink of sleep. I previously served as the Campus Correspondent for the UK chapter of Her Campus and before that I was only a writer. To know more about me visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/sydneyebaker.