jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Free or Low-Cost Activities for Broke College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo provided by Hannah Woosley

This post is dedicated to every broke college student, like myself, that needs to have fun on a budget. There are many free or low-cost opportunities in the Georgetown and Lexington, Kentucky area you may not be aware of, so here is a list:

1. Kentucky Horse Park annual Run/Walk Club

Every Monday from June 5 to September 25 the Run/Walk Club hosts an event open, and free, to the public. Beginning at 5 p.m. and lasting until 8 p.m. you can enjoy multiple trails ranging from 1 mile to 2 miles that you are welcome to run, walk, jog or even walk your leashed dogs on! In addition to these trails, there is free yoga being offered from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. by a wonderful yoga studio based in Georgetown. There are always multiple food vendors which change every week, and live music to add to your experience at the Kentucky Horse Park. 

2. Fountain Films on Friday

Fountain Films is a free movie Friday event at Triangle Park in Lexington hosted by the Downtown Lexington Corporation. Bring chairs and blankets and enjoy a free movie, with new and old movies a possibility to be shown. Fountain Films begin in July and run every Friday for 6 weeks, with movies starting at approximately 9 p.m. It’s a great event for children, teens, young adults, everyone!

3. Raven Run Nature Sanctuary

Raven Run is a nature sanctuary filled with trails for hiking. They have plenty of free events offered alongside hiking that change from time-to-time, such as Summer Tree ID, Volunteer Saturdays, yoga and others. If you enjoy running, they offer a 10K and 5K in October with all proceeds donated directly benefiting Raven Run. Their hours vary by month so be sure to check out their website!

4. Farmers’ Markets

The Lexington Farmers’ Market is held in the mornings, and the day(s) of the week and time depends on the season. Vendors sell everything from fruits and vegetables, to meat, eggs and honey! Occasionally, flowers will available as well. Another farmers’ market is located in Georgetown, and is held most Saturday’s from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. depending on the season. Their product also depends on the season, but they have a variety of fruits and vegetables for sell.

5. The University of Kentucky Arboretum

Located in Lexington, the Arboretum is a botanical garden that is open from dawn to dusk daily. Free admission includes many trails to explore filled with trees, flowers and small creatures. The beautiful scenery allows all day activities such as photography, walking or picnics.

Hannah Woosley is a senior at the University of Kentucky majoring in print journalism and minoring in history. She is a staff writer and co-editor for Her Campus UK. She is also a columnist and assistant opinions editor for UK’s student-run school newspaper, The Kentucky Kernel. In her free time, she enjoys being outdoors hiking, swimming and practicing yoga. She adores animals and has two, six-year-old cats. You can catch Hannah writing an article, watching her favorite shows on Netflix, drinking an iced coffee or enjoying some time outdoors.