Career

3 Ways to Get the Best Gifts for Less this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

The holiday season is upon us, and as a college student, I know the struggles of being tight on money. I’ve learned some pretty great ways to save money while shopping online which make holiday shopping less stressful. Here are the three easiest ways to save some money while you’re gift shopping for the holidays.

1. Use Honey to find the best coupon codes on the internet

By going to Honey you can add the free Honey extension to your browser. Whenever you are about to check out online, simply click the Honey button and it will try out all of the possible coupon codes for you to see which one will give you the best deal. I always used websites such as Retail Me Not, to find coupon codes on my own whenever I shopped online which honestly took a lot of time, seeing which ones were real and would work with my order, but Honey does all of the work for you in a matter of seconds.

2. Earn cashback by using Ebates

Ebates is a website which literally pays you to shop online. Similar to Honey, Ebates allows you to download a free extension and add it to your browser. Whenever you visit a website, Ebates will notify you of the cashback percentage for that website. Ebates has countless stores such as Amazon, Walmart, Forever 21, Ulta and more. By using Ebates while you shop, you can earn more money to put towards the rest of your shopping.

3. Shop and sell through Depop and Poshmark

Depop and Poshmark are apps which allow users to sell their pre-loved items to new owners. I love these apps for both selling and purchasing clothing and accessories. Though items are usually used on these apps, a lot of people sell brand new items that still have the tags on them for way less than their retail price. Either they bought the item and never wore it or it isn’t their size and they don’t feel like returning it. Regardless of their reasoning, it’s a better deal for you! Selling some items of your own that you don’t wear anymore is also a great way to earn some extra cash this season!

By using these three simple tricks while you shop online, you’ll be saving (and earning) money in no time. Happy Holidays and happy shopping!

Samantha is a junior studying Broadcast Journalism and Criminology at the University of Kentucky.