20 Things I Have Learned in my Twenties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

So many things to learn, so little time. I have always been told that being in your twenties is a roller coaster. Here are 20 things I have learned so far in my twenties (which have only been for a couple of months).

1. Learn how to wrap gifts.

Presents tend to always look better wrapped instead of put in a bag with tissue paper (and more fun to open). Take time to learn the art of wrapping. It is a lot harder than it looks. You never know, you could end up like me wrapping gifts at 5 in the morning and actually liking it.

2. It is okay to not be okay

It is okay to have bad days, to cry over spilled water because holding everything together has gotten too much. We all are human and we all have feelings.

3. Learn to let go of the small stuff

Do not hold grudges! Just don’t.

4. Remember the details

When I say details, I mean the little quips of your loved ones. Take note in the way someone laughs, or how they take their coffee in the morning, what makes them angry, what they are passionate about, or even their nervous ticks.

5. Learn how to make pancakes

Pancakes are the soul to midnight snackage. They have these magical powers that make life better at any given time of the day. But usually, it’s Wednesday night and all I can think about is CSF’s midnight chocolate chip pancakes… Which they do not have until Friday night. So what do I do? Attempt to make pancakes. Pancakes are probably one of the easiest things to cook but I somehow managed to burn a few, forget to buy the chocolate chips, and end up covered in batter.

6.  Talking to mom always makes things better.

There have been a few times when I call my mom and end up bursting into tears over the stress of my day. I even Facetimed her from my laptop last year in near tears because my phone decided to combust on me. Nobody knows those meltdowns better than the woman who raised you. Mom, just like those midnight pancakes, has a way of making things seem okay which brings me to…

7. It is okay to still want Mom

My mom and I are like Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. I tell her everything. I end up calling her every single day, even when I have nothing to say. She is possibly the only person that understands me (shh don’t tell her I said that). It is okay, whether 20 or 25, to still want Mom to tell you everything is going to be okay. Or to still want her to cook dinner because cooking usually ends up almost burning the kitchen down on accident. She is always going to be there, whether you want her to or not.

8. Stop putting yourself down

I am notorious for doing this, and I am still trying to learn not to. This lesson is a hard concept to grasp because we are living in a world of “no” and living in a media enthused world. The phrases “I am not pretty. I am not skinny. My eyes are too brown and my face is too chubby,” engulf the mind and warp our perception of ourselves. We are all beautiful and unique in our own ways. We bring things to the table that nobody else does. Beautiful is not a size, it is not how wavy and luscious hair is, it’s not how much you spend on clothes. Beautiful is finding who you are, being excited over something so small or something you love. If somebody doesn’t see that in you, it’s their loss. They are missing out on somebody phenomenal.

9. Binge watching shows on Netflix have healing powers

When it has been one of those weeks. Those weeks where life just really sucks. Binge watching Friends, Gilmore Girls, and falling even more in love with McDreamy yet again helps vanish that terrible week away.

10. You’re never too old to watch Disney movies.

I am not just talking High School Musical (don’t lie, you know every word to every song). I am talking about the classics, like Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. Do not think that only 5 year olds can enjoy the genius of Disney. Even at 20, they are still my favorite movies and will continue to be throughout the rest of my life.

11. Missing someone is a part of life

Don’t mesh down feelings and pretend to not miss somebody that once was a huge part of life. It is easier to do that, than to actually admit missing a person. Nothing that meant something is suppose to be easy. Don’t take that easy route, you may end up more hurt than before.

12. TRY TRY TRY

Another notorious lesson I am still trying to get the hang of. Fear has a funny little way of prancing in and out of the brain, ruining dreams left and right. Fear should be an emotion to push you to do something you would’ve never done before in your life. Take risks, apply for that internship, tell that guy you like him, try guitar (and maybe fail miserably). The world is your oyster kid.

13. Glitter never goes away, just multiplies

My floor is still covered in glitter from October (I was that girl decked out in face paint, glitter, and cat socks to see Taylor Swift because duhh Taylor). It just never goes away, no matter how hard you sweep, how long ago it has been, and how careful you were. So, if you are planning crafts with glitter, just remember… IT NEVER LEAVES!!

14. Give Dad a little credit

Who else would drive 10 hours (5 here and back) just because I wanted to go home? Nobody! As dorky as he can be, and as annoying as he sometimes is,  he is still my dad. I never really give him the benefit of the doubt and I should (and I know he is probably reading this. Hi Dad). So, give Dad a little credit when he makes a really bad joke in front of your friends. His intentions are harmless and that joke won’t kill you.

15. Life is easier and less scary with a group of friends pushing you to be a better person.

I have these friends, and they are some of the goofiest people you will ever meet. But they also are the greatest human beings to come into my life so far. Nobody else can handle me running down the hall to their room, bursting through the door, shouting “I have too many feelings,” at 11 at night. We all might fight over the silliest things, laugh at stupid jokes, get too intense on board games, and maybe spend our whole snow week last year obsessing over a video game character (psh that totally didn’t happen). Each and every one of them has pushed me, seen me at my worst, let me be a total brat, and showed me I can laugh at some of the stupid things I have done. UK would be very lonely without them.

16. Not everybody is going to like you

There are going to be people that just don’t like you for no reason whatsoever. Do not take that to heart. We can’t please everybody, and we can’t make somebody fall in love.

17. Actually read those books you spend an arm and leg for.

They might be outdated and heavy, but the information doesn’t just magically appear in your brain during sleep! Open them and try not to fall asleep.

18. Being the best at something takes practice.

Just like that information in those textbooks, being the best at something does not magically happen out of the blue. Practice makes perfect. We tend to just see somebodys success but not the hard work and heartaches they had to go through to make it to that success. Don’t take practice for granted. If you’re good at something, keep it up.

19. Don’t take time with Grandparents for granted.

My grandparents were and are my safe haven, a place where I could get away from reality just for a little while. I never realized until recently, that I took moments being with them for granted. I never got to say that any time I was over there, I was genuinely happy (until Mom hid all the red Skittles). So, don’t take for granted Grandma’s home cooked meals, or the long endless talks about nothing, or even the little ways they’ve said I love you.

20. Nothing is ever as bad as it seems.

If something bad happens or you did not get that internship or that guy did not end up liking you that way, it is not the end of the world. There will be other internships and other guys. Don’t let any of that get you down. Get up, dust yourself off, and start kicking butt. You got work to do.

Photo credit:

Pinterest

Twenty year old ISC major taking life day to day through a Polaroid camera.
"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."