10 Tips to Find School, Work and Life Balance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

If you are anything like me, you can get extremely overwhelmed with everything you have going on. Tests, homework, meetings, making money, working out, calling family; the list of things you have to do can seem endless and oftentimes feel impossible to accomplish.

Here are a few of my tips to help you find balance in your crazy schedule:

1.Keep a planner…or two.

Not only do I have my lovely Target planner (https://www.target.com/p/2017-2018-ashley-g-academic-planner-weekly-monthly-white/-/A-52436604#lnk=sametab ) to keep track of homework assignments and my to-do lists, but I also utilize Google Calendar in my email for work and meetings. I even schedule time to work out in there! I print it off each week and pin it to a small corkboard by my desk. Crossing off each day feels like I am crossing off a bunch of my worries! Here’s an example:

2. Make To-Do Lists

Whenever you are feeling overwhelmed with the amount of work you have, make a list of everything and then prioritize them. Start with what you have to get done right away, pay attention to due dates! This helps you remember what really is important to get done.

3. Get a Good Night’s Sleep

I cannot stress enough the importance of sleep, especially when you are stressed. Sleep helps your mental and physical health. Instead of pulling an all-nighter studying, go to sleep and set an alarm to wake up earlier than usual. I promise you, you will do better on the test if you do this!

4. Work Ahead…Do not Procrastinate!

Each weekend I try to complete most, if not all, of my homework assignments for the week ahead of me. This may seem crazy, but it keeps me much less stressed out during the week and gives me time to study for exams or work an extra hour here and there. Procrastinating is the worst thing you can do to live a balanced life.

5. Make Time for Exercise

This is the hardest thing to do for me. If you can find time to exercise at least three times a week you should feel so much happier and look great too! Exercise is a stress reliever. Do a Zumba class at the Johnson Center (find the group fitness schedule here: http://www.uky.edu/recwell/fitness/group-fitness ), go for a long walk around campus, anything to get you moving!

6. Establish Your Support System

When times get rough and you need to vent, it is important to have people you can lean on for support. For me this support comes from my mom, boyfriend, two best friends from home and my roommate. Your support system can be anyone you feel comfortable opening up with, even an adviser, teacher or counselor at school!

7. Get Involved in Something That Makes You Happy

Getting involved at school can seem like it is adding another thing on to your to-do list. However, if it is something you truly enjoy and are passionate about, it will be a stress reliever. At UK, we have over 500 student organizations to be involved in. Find your passion here:www.getinvolved.uky.edu .

8. Set Goals

Setting goals for yourself is an incredible way to remind yourself why you are working that part time job, or why you are studying 10 hours a week to get an A on that exam. It gives you motivation to keep going!

9. Practice Self-Care

Develop a routine that relaxes you and prepares you for the day or week ahead. Once a week I give myself a spa treatment. I light candles (Vanilla Cupcake from Yankee Candle is my fave scent), take a bath, put on a facemask and read. It is that hour or two a week that I need for myself to refresh, reflect on the week behind me and get ready for the week ahead. What will your self-care routine include? Yoga, reading, spa treatments, meditation?

10. Give Yourself a Break

If you find yourself unhappy more often than not, or just always stressed out, take a break. Communicating with your teachers, bosses, managers, superiors, etc. that you need some time or need to quit is always an option. Many people think this shows weakness, but it actually shows the ability to be responsible and stand up for yourself. Working yourself too thin is the worst thing you can do for yourself, trust your gut. 

Thumbnail Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com

My name is Laura. Massachusetts is my home but Kentucky is where I am living for the moment. I love the beach and horse farms so I get the best of both worlds currently. I have an addiction to chocolate and I have no idea what to do with my life :)