You NEED To Watch One Day At A Time!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

One day, I was scrolling through the Book and came across a video about a character in one of Netflix’s newest series. Just those few clips were enough to get me to hunt this show down and after a few episodes, I was in love!

(Courtesy of Twitter)

One Day at A Time is a show based on a previous sitcom with the same name, years ago; however, they gave this version a more modern and necessary twist. It follows the lives of the Alvarez family- a Cuban-American family living in Los Angeles. Each character is so strong and their personalities all put together can’t help but draw you in.

We have a single mom and veteran Penelope (Justina Machado). She struggles with PTSD while juggling two kids, her nursing career, and finding love after her ex-husband.

(Courtesy of BuzzFeed)

Then, there’s a feminist, activist, and gay daughter Elena (Isabella Gomez). The most different of the bunch is exploring her sexuality and culture while embracing her passion for speaking for the cause.

(Courtesy of GIPHY)

Pretty boy with a sweet side son, Alex (Marcel Ruiz). Leaving childhood behind, papito knows he’s good looking and ain’t afraid to show it, but he knows when to be humble.

(Courtesy of GIPHY)

The drama queen, Catholic, loving abuelita Lydia (Rita Moreno). Heavy accent and all, she makes sure she’s always presentable and always reminds her family about their Cuban blood, while she helps her daughter raise their family.

(Courtesy of GIPHY)

Finally, the nosey, child baby, Canadian, but family, nevertheless, landlord, Schneider (Todd Grinnell). Coming in and out of the apartment, he’s an extra helping hand, who identifies as Cuban and explores the culture.

(Courtesy of GIPHY)

The show tackles issues based on many current situations we are facing, today- such as racism, citizenship, gun violence, coming out, therapy, culture identity, deportation, and many more! With two successful seasons up and running, while there has still been no updates on a 3rd season, unfortunately.

But believe me! The show is already winning with two seasons filled with laughs, tears, happiness, inspiration, and mucha, pero mucha azucar!

Hey there! I'm Dolores Contreras, but call me Lola! I am a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and minoring in Sociology. This is my first semester writing for HerCampus and I'm super excited! It's not just a chance to get more involved on campus, but it's also creating this door of opportunities for life after college, ya' know? And what's best? Putting my writing to work! Yas! 
UIC Contributor.