Why You Shouldn’t Answer That 2 a.m. Text

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

You’re out at that really awesome bar with your girlfriends, the music is great, and you’re having the time of your life. Then you look down at your phone, and it’s that guy that you really like, BUT he constantly is ghosting you or blowing you off, making excuses as to why he’s basically nonexistent but always saying the nicest things to you. He hits you with the “Hey, what are you doing?” you look at the time, 2 a.m. You contemplate whether or not to text him back, you’re going home alone tonight and maybe that doesn’t need to be the same. BUT GIRL STOP. Why entertain the response that he’s already expecting? Why lower your standards for a guy who only texts you when it’s convenient for him?

Here are two BIG REASONS WHY YOU SHOULDN’T RESPOND TO THAT 2 a.m. TEXT:

1. YOU KNOW HE DOESN’T CARE ABOUT YOU.

As crazy blunt as this is, it’s true. You know damn well that boy doesn’t care. He only cares when it’s convenient and girl, let me tell you that you are not a convenient store. You are a boutique. A high-end boutique and you will treat yourself as such. Do not let a goofy boy ruin that for you. You deserve a man who is going to be at that bar taking care of you, having fun with you, and loving you the way you need to be loved.

2. YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW THE NIGHT IS GOING TO GO AND YOU’RE GOING TO REGRET IT.

You know exactly what’s going to happen if you respond to that text. He’ll come grab you from the bar, you’ll go back to your apartment and you’ll wake up the next morning with regret because you know damn well it doesn’t mean anything to him like it does to you. So honey, don’t do it. Respect yourself enough to know your worth. Feeling regretfully is a crappy feeling, don’t waste something so intimate to a f**kboy.

So the next time you get that 2 a.m. text, delete the thread because you are a Beyoncé. 

Senior at the University of Illinois-Chicago, studying Integrated Health, with a Nursing goal!
UIC Contributor.