This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

After running for nearly ten seasons, plus creating two branch off shows, there’s no denying that RuPaul’s Drag Race is a hit. But for those of you unaware of Drag Race, as it’s more commonly known, it’s basically a bunch of drag queens (usually 10 to 14) competing to be crowned “America’s Next Drag Superstar” by the one and only RuPaul. Think of it as an America’s Next Top ModelAmerican IdolProject Runway mishmash, but with a whole lot of fun added. Basically, I friggin love this show, and I pitch it to everyone I ever meet (not really, but you know what I mean). Here are a few reasons why I think everyone should at least watch a couple of episodes of RuPaul’s Drag Race.

The fact that this is one of the few shows, on television, where people from the LGBTQ+ community are represented all the time.

It’s a show about drag queens—it would be super weird if the LGBTQ+ community wasn’t represented in some way. Not just gay men either—trans women have competed as well!

Or the fact that it’s not just skinny white gay men competing.

The show is hosted by RuPaul, a black man for Pete’s sake. Not to mention that multiple winners have been people of color, or the fact that there is always at least one plus-sized queen per season (and they all do well! See Latrice Royale or Ginger Minj or Kim Chi for the best examples.)

The hard work and artistry that goes into the transformation is amazing.

Everything from painting their faces and doing their make-up to tucking…there’s just so much work that goes into creating the illusion that the queen wants, and it’s honestly so incredible.

The genderplay.

The whole point of drag is to screw with society’s idea of gender, and every single queen on Drag Race has played with society’s idea of femininity to some extent. From Trixie Mattel’s exaggerated Barbie doll look to Courtney Act’s complete and utter femininity to Raja and Milk’s androgyny, the drag on drag race can’t be fit into one box.

The lip-syncs.

Move over Jimmy Fallon, the queens of RuPaul’s Drag Race did the “lip-sync for your life” first. And they do lip-sync professionally. Plus there’s that little added intro before each one: “Good luck, and don’t fuck it up.” For real, does lip-sync battle have that?

The catchphrases and humor.

RuPaul is a master of puns, and can’t go a single episode without making one. Additionally, at the end of every lip-sync, he tells the safe queen, “shantay you stay” and telling the eliminated one, “sashay away.” It’s simple, it’s to the point, and it’s also kind of sweet. Not to mention the catchphrases the queens themselves invent, like “Jesus is a biscuit,” “Not today Satan,” or “Purse first.”

The drama…

The drama that comes from this show is amazing. While every reality TV show has iconic moments (See “be quiet Tiffany”) none of them are as immensely quotable as lines like, “Back rolls?!” Or “You’ll never be glamor.” Or “Your tone seems very pointed right now.”

…but also the love they share between each other and themselves.

The queens know that they’re sisters, but what do sisters do from time to time? They fight (see the above drama post). But at the end of the day, they all come back together and know that they have a strong community with each other.

The self-esteem boost at the end of every single episode.

Quote RuPaul: “If you can’t love yourself how in the hell are you going to love somebody else can I get an amen up in here?” And it’s not just for the queens. It’s for the audience at home too. Now, before I go, one last thing:

UIC Contributor.