Why It’s Important To Spend Time With Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I am an extroverted person. I love being surrounded by people, and having different energies around me. Being in college, I have learned that although I love spending time with friends, I also love spending time with myself. Spending time with yourself is very important and it’s the best self-care. When you spend time alone you get to learn more about yourself. You do things that you love, go to your favorite places, or just plan your life. All of this gives you clarity on your identity.

One of my favorite things to do is go to coffee shops by myself and work on homework, or just listen to music. It’s a simple thing, but it gives me a sense of peace and happiness. I like setting aside time for myself to go on mini adventures and just wander. That’s one of the reasons I love living in a big city like Chicago. I love wandering in this big, beautiful city. The buzz and chaos of all the people around me, is peaceful in a way. Everywhere I look there’s always a person who looks like they’re on a mission, or someone like me who’s just taking it all in.

Another reason it’s good to spend time with yourself, is that you get to self-reflect. It’s important to self-reflect because you get a sense of your strengths, weaknesses, emotions, and moods. One of my favorite ways to self-reflect is journaling or reading poetry. I like writing down my thoughts when I can, and poetry gives me an escape and helps me tap into my emotions and vulnerability too.

One last reason why spending time alone is healthy is that your independence increases. I have always been somewhat of an independent person, but over the years I have discovered that it’s a powerful feeling. Being able to rely on yourself and have this confidence of being independent is an amazing feeling. Not only is it liberating, but it also makes you realize the power of self-love and self-worth. These are some of the reasons why spending time with yourself is very important. It’s always an amazing feeling to be surrounded by friends and family, but it is also equally beautiful to give yourself the time to just hangout with yourself. If you haven’t already, I highly suggest doing some of your favorite things–whether that be going to concerts, going to a cafe, or wandering–in the company of yourself to truly tap into your identity, and discover more about yourself!

Just your average girl living in a big city, trying to figure out life.
UIC Contributor.