This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

We all have that one person that we go back to. We don’t know why we do, but we do. We have all the red flags and warning signs that tell us to run away from them, but we don’t. Our friends tell us what a player he is and ask why we go back. The thing is that we have no idea why we go back. Sometimes it’s the same person, but sometimes it’s a different person, but the same characteristics just a different name. Overall, we just find ourselves back with a fuckboy.

I could give countless examples of my fuckboy encounters, but I’ll just start with the most recent one that always finds his way back to me. It’s gotten to the point that I know when he’ll hit me up again, which is usually every 2-3 months. No, I don’t know why I go back to him or acknowledge him. All of my friends have told me to just ignore him and not give him more of my time. That’s what I would tell them if they ever faced a guy like that, but it seems I can’t take my own advice. No one ever takes their own advice, but obviously, it’s easier to give your friends advice. Back to this fuckboy, he’s the worst kind. The kind that makes you feel like you’re a priority and treats you so well when you’re together, but then after that day they just disappear. You hear nothing from them. You double text and ask them what’s wrong, or sometimes you just assume they’re having a busy week, and that’s why they aren’t talking to you. You make up a million excuses as to why they aren’t talking to you or why they won’t define the relationship when you ask. I suppose we just want to hope they change and turn into that boy who said we were a priority instead of the one that constantly disappears. It’s because they show us the sweet side that we hold out, even though we know we shouldn’t.  It’s why when they come running back to us that we don’t turn them away.

As Hilary Duff says, in A Cinderella Story, “Waiting for you is like waiting for the rain in this drought. Useless and disappointing.” That’s the best way to sum up what it’s like to be with the guy I mentioned above, and I’m sure someone came to mind when you read that quote. It’s hard to admit, but we have to turn those guys away and block them out. If they coming running back to us and show up out of the blue, then we need to not acknowledge them. It is true that they don’t deserve our time, and you would have thought that by the third time that I would have given him the boot, but I didn’t. It wasn’t until my friends reminded me that I deserve better and that there is a someone out there that will show us that. We don’t need to wait around for them because there’s someone out there who won’t make us wait around and will make us a priority, but show us through his actions. Block that boy out, and remember that you deserve so much more than a boy who treats you like that.   

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.