sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Finding Yourself Is Scary But Worth It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The path to finding yourself is a crazy one because none of us truly know where the path is going to lead us. We go through different parts in the path, which means we have moments of regret, but moments we appreciate. No one gives us a handbook on “How to Find Yourself for Dummies”. If they gave us that book, then life would be much easier.

College is usually the time people say that you’re able to find yourself, yet I’m in my junior year and I’m still looking for myself. I know I said before in my previous article that it was okay not to know, but not knowing who you are is scary. I mean, yes, it is okay to not know what you want to major in or what graduate schools you want to apply to, but not knowing who you are is a terrifying thought. I know it’s a weird thing to say because of course most of us will say that we know who we are. This isn’t always the case though because there’s many of us who are still looking and changing, sometimes when we look in the mirror we have to ask ourselves who we are. Some will even evaluate themselves that night and ask “Okay, did all of the decisions I make today represent who I am?”

We all have those moments where we make a decision, but then question if it was the right choice or not. We believe at times that the choices we make define us as a person, so then the choices we regret are lessons. We all know we have choices that we wish we could take back.  I know I definitely have choices that I wish I could change, but it doesn’t matter. We have to move forward from those choices, since that’s a way of growing as a person.

As Jane the Virgin said, “Life is full of tough moments. You have to fight for what you want.” This applies to finding yourself because life is going to throw a bunch of road blocks in our way.  It’s the choices we make that help us build who we are. It’s the people we surround ourselves with. It’s really a matter of asking yourself who you want to be.  We don’t need to compare ourselves to others or try to be like someone we’re not. We’re works in progress. It’s true that I’m still finding myself, but I do know the kind of person I want to be. 

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.