This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

When a teacher inspires you…

I attended Lane Tech High School, which is located near the north side of Chicago. What can I say? I actually enjoyed my high school experience due to how lovely and engaged my teachers were. Each one was dedicated and passionate about their classes and I loved that; it made me feel more engaged in the classes. There was one class in particular. It was an English class that I had taken my senior year. It was taught by one teacher who had multiple roles within this high school. He was engaged in class, loved the school, and did much more for the community.

This teacher was the most inspiring and hardworking teacher that I have ever had in my entire academic career. This teacher had created an environment in the classroom in which all students felt comfortable and happy to be there. He would tell the class almost every single day about how much he loves his profession and how he doesn’t consider it a profession at all. He once said, “If you love what you do, it will never feel like a job.” That has stuck to me and has inspired me greatly in all that I want to do.

The day of my graduation, I remember thanking him for all that he has done for me. I believe there are great teachers out there, everywhere, who have a passion to share their ideas and to teach. Since that class, I do not take a professor for granted because each one, has a story of their own.

Hi everyone! My name is Ruby Valle and I am majoring in Criminology and minoring in Political Science and Public Policy at UIC. I plan on becoming a Criminal Prosecutor and will attend law school after I graduate from UIC! Fun fact: I eat fries everyday!
UIC Contributor.