This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

When all hope is lost…

Everyone reaches that point in their college career, semester, or even their week, when they declare that they’re going to drop out and be an exotic dancer or something along those lines. College isn’t always all fun; in fact it’s quite hard, but when your time comes where you want to give up you have to remember why you started and why you’re still here.

Some of us go to college because it’s just something you do, or because your family has high expectations, or because you truly care about school or your future. No matter the reason, there is a reason why you’re here and these times of desperation are when you have to remember that the most. If you’re struggling in your Statistics class, reflect on why you decided to take that class. Okay yeah, to fill a pre-requisite is a stupid reason, but what’s that for? Say you’re taking Stats to get into nursing school… Why do you want to be a nurse? Our hardest times only emphasize why we choose the path that we do. You’ve been dreaming about being a nurse for as long as you can remember, all you want to do is help people like someone has helped you, don’t let this one class distract you from that dream.

When all your hope seems lost, remember that there is always something or someone there to help you. Utilize all of your resources, because I know UIC has plenty of them. When I was in my most desperate of times in a class I thought I couldn’t do anymore, I failed every exam and cried about it when I saw the grades, but I still went to class and I still visited my professor’s office hours multiple times each week. College is about freedom, not only on your part but the professor’s as well. Sometimes visiting office hours and trying is all it takes to get your professor to notice that you deserve a passing grade. While only a passing grade may not be ideal, it could be worse.

Remember that there are worse things out there and that you don’t know what is coming to you in your future. You may fail one class or one exam, but whatever it is it doesn’t make you any less great than you were before. Your life isn’t over. When all your hope is lost, remember the options and your greatness. Love yourself and believe in yourself like all those around you do. This is not the end and it is not over yet. Stay strong. 

HiiI'm Lauren- Sophomore at UIC,  girl who hates science but aspires to be a nurse. Catch me on campus looking as basic as ever, coffe and planner in hand too.Oh and I am probably the sassiest person you'll ever meet.  
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.