alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Two Iconic Queer Women Everyone Should Be Talking About!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Hayley Kiyoko​​

Hayley Kiyoko, called “Lesbian Jesus” by her fans, is an actress, dancer, and singer. Her debut was in Disney Channel’s original movie, Lemonade Mouth. From the success of the movie, Kiyoko garnered many fans.

Kiyoko then decided to express herself and her struggles with her sexuality through music. In 2015, Hayley released her second EP, titled This Side of Paradise. The EP included the song, Girls Like Girls, which brought her a lot of attention and made her want to continue talking about her sexuality more in-depth.

In early 2018, Hayley Kiyoko released her first studio album, Expectations, which includes songs like Curious and Sleepover.

The album is about Kiyoko coming to terms with her sexuality and exploring different relationships that she has had with women in the past. Kiyoko won a VMA for “Push Artist of the Year,” because her fans voted for her online. Kiyoko has more goals, such as directing pieces and creating more music. We know this isn’t the last we’ll hear from her, and we know that she will continue to inspire people who are members of the LGBTQIA+ community.

Amandla Stenberg

Amandla Stenberg is an extremely successful actress and singer. She is known for her work in The Hunger GamesEverything, Everything, and the upcoming movie, The Hate U Give. In recent years, Stenberg has opened up about her sexuality and gender identity. Stenberg has stated that she identifies as non-binary and prefers “they/them” and “she/her” pronouns.

When Stenberg began to talk about her identity, many individuals found that they shared similar experiences with her, and she began to get many fans because of this. Earlier this year, Stenberg came out as gay and explained that she did not feel fulfilled when she was with men.

Look out for new and exciting projects from Stenberg! She is currently taking the world by storm with her acting in films, and we cannot wait to see what’s next!

Hi, I'm Destiny! I am an undergrad at UIC, and I love music and movies!!
UIC Contributor.