Transitioning to Online Courses Due to COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

First off, let me just say that I had never taken a course online before this. A month ago, when I found out that classes at UIC would be online for the rest of the semester, I was thrilled. It wasn’t until the weeks after that I truly realized what that would mean for me and my new college friends. What it would later mean is that my path for the next semester and even the next few years of college was not so clear. I keep thinking that somehow this change is only temporary, but the end is not in sight. Over the past month, I learned more about myself as quarantine proved to mean time away from my friends. My time in lockdown has changed the way I look at my social life and school. Sometimes being without something can make you realize how much we take for granted. It also made me realize something about myself and how little I value my time. Being on lockdown makes school feel optional, not easy. Online learning has proved to be at times even more difficult than last semester, especially when it comes to finding the one thing you can’t get online: motivation. Being born a procrastinator, I have had to learn how to manage my time even when I don’t have anywhere to go. My phone has sort of become an addiction, making it a constant challenge to sit down and do work without getting distracted. So, here are the tips that I have learned from various sources and decided to share them with you.

Make a Schedule

I know, life’s hard as is since we’re not free to leave the house much after lockdown. But there is somewhat freedom in self-control. Setting aside a specific time to exercise, study, and relax gives your mind ease. Waking up every day and still having schoolwork has made things easier to swallow. It’s better than waking up every day with nothing to do. I have found that while a schedule is hard to keep up, building a routine gets better with time.

Lists! Lists! Lists!

When I first entered college, I wrote myself up a five-year plan. Now that the way I am pursuing my education has changed, some of my ideas for my plan have changed. The most disappointing of which came when I found out my summer research program had been canceled because of COVID-19, however, I have decided to not let that stop me. If you ever feel confused about where you are going in life, maybe make yourself a list of daily/weekly/monthly or even life goals and put yourself in motion to take the steps to achieve them. In the wake of my summer plans being canceled, I have decided to pursue other opportunities such as internships that can be done remotely. Goal setting can help you accomplish homework, maximize your time and even help you put some of your life goals in perspective.

Education Outside of School

With the COVID-19 crisis, this is a perfect chance to pursue enrichment opportunities outside of school. With websites like Coursera, anyone with Internet access can learn from their computer courses taught across many subjects and even earn a certificate of completion for the course. In addition, Rosetta Stone is offering three free months of access for anyone looking to learn another language. So, I say, take advantage of these internet opportunities. Pick up a new hobby.

Hello! My name is Tayo Omoniyi, and I am from Tinley Park, Illinois. I am a 2nd-year student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, studying Biology with a pre-medicine track. My passions are writing, travel and medicine. My ultimate career goal is to become a pediatric doctor. Outside of school, I love spending time with my family and friends. I have two younger sisters.