Life > Experiences

Tips To Help House Guests Feel Welcome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

1.  Explain to them that this is their home too (at least for the time being) and they should feel free to sit anywhere and chill. Tell them that they are free to use the tv or kitchen. No matter how annoying it gets or how angry you get at them in your personal space, do not let it show. Remember, they’re probably feeling like they’re invading your home.

2. Offer them food whenever you make something for yourself, as long as it’s not too much of an inconvenience. You don’t have to go out of your way to cook them every meal, but as long as you’re on the stove slaving away for yourself, might as well increase the portion size.

3. Give them helpful tips on how your house appliances work. Everyone’s homes run a little differently, and everyone knows the struggle of getting the shower working in a hotel room. Show your guests how the shower works at your place to make their stay easier. You don’t have to do their laundry or cook for them, but it makes them feel more secure when you show them how the stove and washing machine work.

4. Don’t hover over them constantly. When they go to cook or watch tv or anything else, don’t stand over them and keep an eye on what they’re doing. Your intentions might be good, and you might want to help them when they get stuck, but they just feel like an animal in a zoo when you do that. It makes them nervous and they are more prone to slipping up while someone is watching them do things.

5. Don’t constantly ask where they are when they go out. Sure, they might be living under your roof temporarily, but they are not your child and you are not their parent. Let them go out and enjoy life how they would normally do. Constantly keeping track of their movements makes them feel as if they are on a leash.

6. Don’t get angry when they do something they’re not supposed to. They might accidentally leave the refrigerator door open or leave dirty mugs on the coffee table after they have finished drinking their beverages. It’s okay to remind them to pick up after themselves or to turn off the lights after they are done using a room, but if they don’t listen the second time, remember, they’re only staying temporarily.

Hello! My name's Syeda Dayemi and I graduated UIC (majored in Biology). :)