etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Photo by Drew Patrick Miller on Unsplash

There will always be those certain songs that will put you in your feelings, make you want to dance and sing, or songs you can just chill to. However, throwback jams will always have a special place in our hearts. Here are 10 of my favorite throwback jams that you can add to your playlist.

10. Shake It by Metro Station

Who doesn’t get hyped after you hear “Let’s drop!” and then an electric guitar? Metro Station knew what they were doing when they made this song. You can’t help but “shake it” to this 2008 song.  

9. Obsessed by Mariah Carey

Released in 2009, Mariah Carey’s “Obsessed” had every girl, whether they had experienced love or heartbreak yet or not, telling boys they didn’t deserve them. Girls were feeling superior to all boys around them when this song came on; your confidence went through the roof.  

8. Telephone by Lady Gaga ft. Beyoncé

Self-explanatory. Queen B and Lady Gaga killed this song and the music video. Gaga and Knowles were two of the most influential female artists in the industry, at the time, so this collaboration was what all of our young hearts needed.

7. Kiss Me Thru The Phone by Soulja Boy Tell’em ft. Sammie

Six, seven, eight, triple nine, eighty-two, one, two. If you did not actually try to call the number said in this song, you were not a true fan of it. Anyone who listened to this enough could sing the number from memory. Again, another song that puts us in our feelings whether we’ve experienced with love or not.  

6. Beautiful Soul by Jesse McCartney

Who didn’t fall in love with Jesse McCartney after seeing this music video? He was the love of your life, and you were ready to marry him. Plus, he is beautiful and made you feel like the beautiful soul you are.   

5. Knocks You Down by Keri Hilson ft. Kanye West & Neyo

This song just makes you want to fall in love. You can feel what Hilson is feeling and just want your own love so you can sing this to your SO.   

4. Cooler Than Me by Mike Posner

You sang this song to people who were jealous of you, but thought they were better. Of course, you were the cooler one. If you didn’t wear “shades to hide your face” when Posner sang it, you weren’t as dedicated as you thought you were.

3. Suga Suga by Baby Bash

Being one of the older songs on this list, from 2003, this slow jam is perfect for driving in the car, with the windows down. His smooth voice and melody is perfect just to chill to. He is the mood when we hear this song.

2. Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland

Nelly Furtado stole our hearts with this one. Another song, on the list, that tells girls that we don’t need men in our lives. Furtado was the queen of teaching girls how to play hard to get.

1. Best I Ever Had by Drake

Drake will always be the love of my life. This man has had my heart since he was on the television series Degrassi. I would sing “Best I Ever Had” at the top of my lungs, and you’re probably lying if you say you didn’t.

Gif made by Giphy 

Hopefully, these throwback jams can get you through your week, and have expanded your music playlists. You’re welcome.

Hello, my name is Alex Burrell. I am a first year at the University of Illinois at Chicago as an English major with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical, and Cultural Studies, as well as a Spanish minor. Writing has always been a passion of mine, and I am grateful to have the opportunity to share my works with you. If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact me on Twitter @alexburrell9!
UIC Contributor.