This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The months counting down to graduation are the perfect mix between peaceful and terrifying. Odds are as March is slowly dwindling down, the job search is in full swing. Midterms are approaching and senioritis has hit hard. I swear, one day, I am completely calm and ready to be done with college, then the next, I am praying the time goes by slower and hope that I can get at least one phone call interview for the two hundred applications I have already sent in.

The talk of “What comes next?” is pretty scary. Is it grad school? That’s gonna be a solid no for me, but for others, good luck. As I sit in class and take my final notes of the semester, I can’t help but wonder where everyone else is going to be in one year’s time. For the last four years, I have sat in class with pretty much the same people, and these people can easily find jobs across the world. Now, I am just sitting here and quietly praying I will get an in-person interview sometime soon. 

Now, it’s time to order my cap and gown. I’m still pretty terrified because why hasn’t my advisor approved my intent to graduate? This time is so scary as the days leading up to graduation are approaching. I think the most important thing to remember is that we are not alone. (This statement is also not at all peaceful because everyone sitting next to you in class is applying for the exact same jobs you are). But in all seriousness, I feel like this is the time we should enjoy the little moments. Yes, it is a truly terrifying time, but we will survive. If we can pull all-nighters and learn a full semester-worth of material in one night, we’ve got this!

Anna Rubino

Illinois '19

Anna Rubino is currently a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago and majoring in Communications and Business Administration. She hopes to work in the sports marketing field and use her passion and knowledge of sports as a career.
UIC Contributor.