Think Veggie Burgers are Boring? Think Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

When I think about vegetarianism, a 2002 romantic comedy comes to mind. The kind where the girl and guy are on their first date, and the girl orders a “tofu burger” as she pushes her hair behind her ear and readjusts her bobby pins.

I remember thinking, “What the heck is tofu?” but at the same time thinking that it’s really cool, and I should be like the girl who ate them.

That is totally NOT the reason why I went vegetarian (well…). But, let’s be honest, for those who’ve tried tofu, it is a bit of a required taste. Fortunately for us veggies, there are a variety of veggie burgers that do not include coagulating soy milk (yes, this is how tofu is made).

1. Falafel Burger

If you haven’t tried chickpeas yet, stop reading this article, and go try them now. You’re truly missing out. And if you didn’t already know, that’s what the Mediterranean-staple falafel is made from. Falafel is a super yummy, meat alternative, great for those transitioning to a vegetarian diet.

Courtesy of: Chowhound.com

2. Mushroom Burger

Anyone else a mushroom lover? Mushroom burgers use the cap of a large mushroom for the patty, and it is delicious. Topped with melted cheddar cheese, and you are in vegetarian heaven (sorry, no vegans allowed).

Courtesy of: Spiciefoodie.com

3. (The actual) Veggie burger

This one is really simple and easy to do at home. It’s literally vegetables-cooked or raw-on a burger bun. That’s it. I personally like a mixture of broccoli and carrots. It’s a great way to add some carbs to your diet.

Courtesy of: Freevegetablerecipies.blogspot.com

4. Black Bean Burger

This one is my fave, hands down. Black bean burgers have a savory taste and texture that’s satisfying and fills you up. Plus, they’re a great source of iron and magnesium. I like mine on an oat bun with mustard.

Courtesy of: Finecooking.com

5. Sweet Potato Burger

Looking for something on the sweet side? The sweet potato veggie burger will do the trick. Not only are sweet potatoes a source of healthy carbs, they’re a superfood with tons of vitamins and minerals (pro-tip: try with pineapple).

Courtesy of: Jessicamurane.com

Not all burgers are made equal, and thankfully, you’ve got options. Try a vegetarian one sometime, and tell us what you think!

Kristen Simmons is a Mississippi based writer who attends the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is currently studying English Professional Writing and plans on going into the world of journalism and editing. When she's not writing, she's oil painting, connecting with friends, and coming up with new creative projects.
UIC Contributor.