SpaceTime Tanks: Best Kept Secret in Chicago!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I’m not a frequent Reddit peruser, but randomly I went on one day to the Chicago page. As fate would have it, I ended up finding a post about something called SpaceTime Tanks. The name alone sounds bizarre and intriguing, so I decided to do a little research and find out what this was. Turns out, it’s probably the coolest thing and best kept secret in Chicago. If you’re looking for stress relief and an all around interesting and (as some people have claimed) life-changing experience, then SpaceTime Tanks is the place for you to visit.

Located in Lincoln Park at 2526 North Lincoln Avenue, SpaceTime Tanks is a “Vacation in an Hour” as they claim on their website. What you do is get inside one of their floatation tanks, which is an 8’ by 4’ by 4’ enclosure that eliminates all sound and light. The tank has 10 inches of water with 800 pounds of dissolved Epsom salt. “While floating you experience an intensified consciousness of body and mind; you are able to reflect, to ponder, to explore and to refine your powers of concentration and creativity.” Sounds pretty incredible, right? Floating for two hours is the equivalent of eight hours of deep sleep. When you leave, you feel rejuvenated and completely stress free.

I’m a firm believer in completely cutting yourself off from the world at times to find a level head and touch the ground, so to speak. An hour without noise, technology, or worry sounds  like the perfect way to recharge and think clearly. SpaceTime Tanks sounds like an interesting experience, one that everyone should try! An hour float session is $50, but with a student ID they give a $10 discount. For more in-depth information about floatation tanks and all the services that SpaceTime Tanks offers, visit their website at http://chicagofloatationtanks.com/index.html