This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Halloween is sneaking up on us and we know that not everyone has the time, or money, to get an extravagant costume this year. We’re here to help! Here are some costume ideas that require little to no money and hopefully can be made with things you already have lying around! Let’s get creative, ladies. 

1. Nerd/Geek

For this classic look, all you will need to do are transform some clothing items that we’re pretty sure you already have. You know those 3D glasses you get after going to see a movie? Pop out the lenses of a pair and wrap some tape around the middle of them. Then, all you will need to do is find your favorite button-up shirt and stick some pens or pencils in the pocket! The best part about this costume is that you can wear your favorite jeans. You can either wear them full-length, or roll up the ends to showcase a pair of your silliest socks. Feel free to accessorize with a tie, bowtie, or suspenders if you already have them.

2. Sports Fan

This one is easy and should require minimal effort. Just pick out your favorite sports gear (jersey, sweatshirt, or hoodie) and play it up. Take some face paint, or spare eyeliner, and write the team’s name on your face. You can paint your nails the team colors and accessorize with anything else you can find!

3. Facebook

This one is painfully simple and probably the easiest, but how cute is Jim Halpert rocking it from The Office? Find a blue shirt to wear with your favorite blue jeans and write the word “BOOK” boldly across your face. Get it?

4. Vampire

For this costume, all you will need to buy is a cheap pair of fake teeth from the nearest drugstore or costume shop. Choose your favorite black clothing, pop in the fake teeth, and draw fake blood around your mouth using red face paint or even spare red lipstick. To take it further, you can use some eye shadow to create circles under your eyes and contour your cheeks to make yourself look extra creepy.

5. Cowgirl

Hopefully you have a pair of cowboy boots somewhere in the depths of your closet. If you do, all you need to add is a comfy plaid shirt and a bandana around your neck. Add a cowgirl hat (if you have one) and braid your hair for extra southern sass!

6. Zombie

If you’re into a more frightening costume this year, try this costume. Grab some of your oldest clothes and put some holes in them. After that, use lipstick or red face paint to resemble blood around your mouth and use whatever makeup you have to make yourself look like the undead. One of the best things about this costume is that the point is to look MESSY!

7. Grecian Goddess

All you need for this costume is a spare white sheet. Wrap it around yourself to create the look of a toga (you can even accessorize with a cute belt). Curl your hair if you want to and wear any pair of leather/gladiator sandals that you may own. Go the extra step by wearing some gold jewelry!

Hopefully we’ve given you some options for a Halloween costumes this year, or at least an idea that gets the ball rolling. Don’t stress out about finding the perfect costume and feel free to put your own spin on a classic. Be ever so safe and have fun! We wish you many amazing memories this Halloween season! 

Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Psychology, Sociology Melissa is born and raised in Chicago. She started out at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign before coming to UIC.
Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Germanic Studies Status: Senior Jennifer is a born and raised Chicago girl passionate about her studies. She loves to help people all that she can and contribute to the betterment of others. Used to being on the go, Jennifer is enthusiastic about obtaining her degree and learning many different things along the way. She is interested in music, movies, reading, volunteering, and is a major Blackhawks fan. Her dream is obtain her degree and work with writing in a fashion that will reach out to people.
UIC Contributor.