nature flowers spring pink
nature flowers spring pink
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus
Wellness

Self Care Spring Cleaning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

For most of us, the start of spring is a sign to purge our closets and clean out our junk drawers. Even though spring cleaning is definitely a necessity, it can be easy to forget about some other parts of your life that might need some decluttering. This season, you should make sure to prioritize physical and mental self care. Here are 5 tips to help you start the season off strong!

1. Get some fresh air

This one might seem obvious, but getting some fresh air every day is a great way to destress and lift your mood. I’ve definitely been guilty of spending a whole day inside and forgetting to leave the house. Especially with finals approaching, it’s even more important to find ways to relax. Even spending just 15 minutes outside can make a big difference in your day. Try going for a walk, reading a book outside, riding a bike, or (if you’re up to it) waking up early to watch the sunrise.

2. Find a new hobby

Hobbies are linked to lower stress and increased happiness. Sometimes I feel like I don’t have time for hobbies, but even just 10-15 minutes a day of a hobby you enjoy can have great impacts on your wellbeing. Spend some time on a hobby you love or take up something new! Try baking, photography, learning a new language, or knitting.

Spoon Csu-Mixing Bowl Whisk
Brooke Buchan / Spoon

3. Let the light in

With gloomy and depressing winter weather coming to an end, spring is a great time to soak in the sunlight. I usually don’t realize how much nice weather lifts my mood until spring starts and the sun starts to come out. Take advantage of the extra sunlight by opening all the blinds and curtains in your house!

Window Sun Curtains Plants Apartment
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

4. Limit your screen time

If you’re like me, you might be addicted to your phone. It’s the first thing I reach for in the morning, and it’s in my hand for most of the day. Spending so much time on your phone or other devices can easily suck the energy out of you and make time pass faster. Stepping away from electronics can reduce your anxiety and give you more free time during your day. I recommend setting limits on your screen time (even if you have to start small!) and not using your phone for 30 minutes after you wake up.

5. Practice gratitude

Practicing gratitude can help you focus on the positive things in your life. Take time to slow down and think about what you have to be thankful for. Some ways you can practice gratitude are journaling, meditation, and showing appreciation for friends and family.

Emma is a freshman at the University of Illinois at Chicago majoring in English and Psychology. She enjoys reading, writing, and painting.