Style > Beauty

Sara Strand, Creative Director of POP Beauty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Creative director of POP Beauty gives us the scoop on her favorite beauty secrets and products.

What is the hottest beauty look for spring?
 I AM GENERALLY A ‘NO TRENDS TREND’ KIND OF GIRL. WHEN I SAY THAT WHAT I MEAN IS THAT MY PHILOSOPHY IS TO CREATE YOUR OWN TRENDS. BE PLAYFUL AND WILLLING TO EXPERIMENT AND PUSH THE BOUNDRIES AND YOU WILL END UP BEING A PERSON OTHER PEOPLE COME TO FOR TREND ADVICE AS WELL AS ENDING UP HAVING SO MUCH FUN ALONG THE WAY!  DON’T WEAR GREEN THIS SEASON JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE TOLD YOU TOO – WEAR IT BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU HAPPY WHEN YOU LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND BECAUSE IT BRINGS OUT THE COLOUR OF YOUR EYES! BUT OK – ONE THING I CAN SAY IS THAT SPRING IS A GREAT TIME TO EXPERIMENT WITH SOME MORE COLOR –  OFF THE CATWALKS THERE ARE A LOT OF CORAL, FUSHCIA AND BRIGHT RED LIPS WHICH IS VERY IMPACTFUL AND LOOKS AMAZING WHEN THE REST OF THE FACE IS KEPT MINIMAL. MORE BRIGHTS AND UNCONVENTIONAL SHADES LIKE RED AND ORANGE FOR EYES ARE ALSO POPPING UP AND ALSO PAY ATTENTION TO LASHES AS THEY ARE IN FOCUS THIS SPRING, THICK LUSCHIOUS OR PLAIN FAUX IS THE WAY TO GO.

What is your biggest beauty secret?
SMILE, BE HAPPY, DRINK LOTS OF WATER, FALL IN LOVE, SLEEP WELL, HAVE FUN, HAVE A GREAT SKIN CARE REGIMEN, CREATE A GREAT CANVAS, AND OF COURSE, USE A POP OF COLOR! FOR ME, WHEN I AM TIRED, A BRIGHT BLUE LINER ON THE LOWER LASHLINE AND A TOUCH OF SHIMMER ON TOP OF CHEEK AND BROWBONES MAKES ME LOOK LIKE BRIGHT EYED & RESTED AGAIN.  ALSO A POP OF BRIGHT PINK ON THE APPLES OF THE CHEEKS WORKS MIRACLES FOR ME.

What are the best colors for blue/green/brown eyes?
IT DEPENDS ON THE HUE BUT GENERALLY I WOULD SAY THAT NAVY LINER TEAMED WITH NUDE/WHEAT/ GOLD SHADOWS FOR BLUE EYES LOOKS STUNNING, FRESH AND NATURAL.  OLIVE GOLDS, MOSS GREENS AND VIOLETS WORKS WONDERS FOR GREEN EYES AND BROWN EYES LOOK STUNNING IN WINES & BRONZES BUT, ALSO CERTAIN TYPES OF TEAL & TURQUOISE CAN REALLY POP BROWN EYES, BUT IT ALSO COMES DOWN TO THE REST OF YOUR COLOURING AND WHAT LOOK YOU ARE AFTER.

How do you get the “glow”?
NO SHOW CORRECT & PROTECT AND NO SHOW CONCELAER HIDE IMPERFECTIONS WHILE ADDING A NICE GLOW. ALSO I AVOID USING POWDER ON MY FACE AS I LIKE A LITTLE NATURAL DEWYNESS, AND WHEN I DO USE POWDER I ONLY USE IT ON THE T-ZONE AND ONLY IN REALLY NATURAL, SKIN-LIKE FORMULAS. I ALSO AVOID USING TOO MANY MATTE HUES ON MY SKIN. IF MY SHADOW IS MATTE I MAKE SURE TO USE A GLOW ON MY CHEEK AND A GLOSS TO MIX UP THE TEXTURES.

What is your favorite POP product?
WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE CHILD? THAT’S A HARD ONE! I DON’T GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT THE NO SHOW CONCEALER BUT COULD NOT SURVIVE A NIGHT ON STAGE WITHOUT THE FAUX LASHES…IF I CAN PICK 5 POP ESSENTIALS IT WOULD BE: (CURRENTLY)

-NO SHOW CONCEALER
-FACE MAGNET PRIMER
-MY ONE LINER
-DAY TO PLAY
-FAUX LASHES

Marissa Govedarica is a Communications major at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is the National Account Executive at Her Campus Media, and the founder of Her Campus UIC. As the Chicago Beauty Specialist for Pop Beauty, Marissa adores making people look and feel beautiful - she is always up to date on the latest and greatest in beauty. Marissa plans to gain a variety of experience in the communication field as she starts her fourth internship, at NBC, in May. Marissa's penchant for perfection keeps her going at all hours of the day. She is a triplet who was born and raised in a suburb of Chicago, and feels right at home living in the heart of the windy city.  Marissa has been featured on IWantHerJob.com, in LOFT's "She Wears the Pants Campaign," and honored as a "Diva" in the "Diva Series" with TCW Magazine. In September, Marissa was selected as "America's Next Inspiration: 50 Young Champion for Women" where she attended a symposium in NYC with Arianna Huffington, Donna Karan, and Sarah Brown, among many. Marissa's creative nature and ambitious, positive attitude allow her to live life to the fullest. Follow her on twitter: @MarissaGov