This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Why am I not enough?

The real life of a pre-law student in one word would be, ‘exhausting.’ For me, that is, at least. I have always asked myself these awful questions which I know bring my self-esteem down. Yet, I still do it because the process of becoming an admitted student at a prestigious university is hard work and tiresome. I have decided on being an attorney for several years now and have prepared myself to be the best candidate that I can be for law school. The journey to law school begins from the moment you decide to start until the day you pass the Bar exam. Four years of undergraduate and three years of law school, two exams until you get your license to practice.

My resume isn’t enough, right?

The process of applying is quite daunting and brings immense amounts of anxiety. My fellow pre-law peers have similar stories about experiencing anxiety as well. It takes months, if not years, to prepare for the entrance exam, a stellar grade point average, a wonderful resume, internships, work, etc.. There is so much one needs to do in order to stand out and receive an admissions letter from a law school. Let’s be honest, law school is not cheap, which adds on an immense amount of pressure to be successful. 

We got this!

I am proud of the work ethic we, as students have. As well as the amount of work we are doing, and have done, to show for it, in order to accomplish our goals. Regardless of the journey, the long, extensive journey, it’s all worth it. So enough doubting oneself; we’ll make it my fellow law pals!

Hi everyone! My name is Ruby Valle and I am majoring in Criminology and minoring in Political Science and Public Policy at UIC. I plan on becoming a Criminal Prosecutor and will attend law school after I graduate from UIC! Fun fact: I eat fries everyday!
UIC Contributor.