Pretty Little Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Someone once said that “life is too short not to surround yourself with beauty”. I could not agree more, but in college having small budgets and even smaller rooms, this might seem tricky. Whether it’s a dorm room, an apartment, or your room at your parent’s house, there are always things to make your space a haven; a place for you to relax, unwind, and de-stress. I’ll give some tips on how to spruce up your room to make sure you’re not ever without the presence of beauty.

“Coffee Table” Book
Everyone needs a quintessential “coffee table” book. No, you probably don’t have a coffee table in your room, but these beauties can be strewn about anywhere you’d like. I personally stack mine on my dresser and pile odds and ends on top of them. These books are usually a lot bigger than normal sized books and a little pricier, but this is something you’ll have for the rest of your life. A few of my favorites are the Yves Saint Laurent coffee table book and Andy Warhol’s “Giant Size”. Both of these are available on Amazon!

Display Your Gems
Add some pizzazz to your walls and display your jewelry on them. I’ve seen so many crafty little ideas on Pinterest lately, so you can find some ideas on there. I personally chose the simple route of banging a nail into my wall. Very effective. But it’s okay, because my pretty necklaces and earrings distract from the less than appealing hanging apparatus. If you live in a dorm, you might not be able to take the crude route that I chose. But these two ideas are cute!

Smell the Roses
Literally. Buy yourself some fresh flowers every once in a while to display in your room, just ‘cause. You never need a reason to do something nice for yourself. So go out and buy yourself some pretty blooms. Because you deserve it! Trader Joes always has gorgeous orchids for super cheap!