This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

President Donald Trump does not have a plan for reversing climate change, which is terrifying. Not only does he refuse to help set laws and regulations to reverse climate change, but he also wants to reverse almost 100 environmental rules. In total, as of today, he has 99 rollbacks. According to “a New York Times analysis, based on research from Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School and other sources, more than 70 environmental rules and regulations are officially reversed, revoked or otherwise rolled back under Mr. Trump. Another 26 rollbacks are still in progress.” Under the permission of Donald Trump, the progress that environmentalists have made over these last few decades will be flushed down the drain. This concerns not only the United States, but also the rest of the world. 

Even more shocking than the fact that President Trump does not wish to reverse climate change is the fact that he does not believe in it. This is because he is uneducated in the matter. 

“It’s freezing in New York — where the hell is global warming?” The head-turning words posted on the President’s Twitter are so ignorant, it makes me roll my eyes. Global warming is not literally about the day-to-day weather. It is about the overall health of the planet, due to released carbon emissions, which causes unusual climate patterns worldwide. Not only do temperatures rise over a scale of thousands of years, but the threat of hazardous storms are getting worse as well. NASA informs us that “20,000 years ago, much of the United States was covered in glaciers. In the United States today, we have a warmer climate and fewer glaciers.” It concerns me that the President of the United States is not educated enough about something so important to everyone on Earth. 

Specifically to North America, the nation has dealt with many weather disasters already, throughout the year. There have been crop failures in the midwest, infrastructure going downhill in the south, and record wildfires in the west, especially in California. There have already been 25 named storms, coming close to setting the record. The future of our planet is more alarming now than ever before.

Although the President should be concerned about the planet, he instead has his eyes focused on one topic only: money. What he does not know, however, is that by ignoring climate change, the U.S. will actually lose money— interested now, Mr. Trump?

“The damage will knock as much as 10 percent off the size of the American economy by century’s end.” –Coral Davenport and Kendra Pierre-Louis in U.S. Climate Report Warns of Damaged Environment and Shrinking Economy. This information is from a major scientific report that has been issued by 13 federal agencies on Friday. This report was made public by the White House. It is a 1,656-page assessment, addressing the impacts and risks of climate change in the United States, including how it affects the economy. It would be better for the U.S. if we did more to prevent climate change because it would bring forth economic growth, including new jobs. Avoiding climate change will also be costly.

While watching the Presidential Debate, it was clear how uneducated President Trump was on climate change. However, it was refreshing to notice that Presidential Candidate, Joseph Biden, understood the severity of climate change. In order to keep the planet clean, Biden proposes that the nation slowly moves away from the usage of oil, over time. Trump argues that venturing away from oil and gas would economically hurt the states that produce them, such as Pennsylvania and Texas. This worried the working class of the aforementioned states. Biden later responded that since this transition would be gradual, it would not damage the economy as harshly as Trump had thought. 

Trump’s thoughts on climate change are solely uneducated and concerning. The world is suffering more than ever before, and President Trump refuses to be a hero. Climate change should not be a goal for just democrats; it should be a goal to save our humanity.

Photo by Thomas Ashlock on Unsplash

Christina is a Professional Writing major, minoring in Spanish, at University of Illinois at Chicago. She is the Senior Editor and President for Her Campus Media, following her passions to one day become an editor as a career.
Christina is a Professional Writing major, minoring in Spanish, at University of Illinois at Chicago. She is a Senior Editor and President of Her Campus Media, following her passions to one day become a journalist as a career. You can find her on Instagram at @christina.maria.rosalina (: