Paris Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Fashion month wrapped up in Paris where show after show displayed magnificent editorial worthy clothing created by some of the most talented designers in the industry.  In Paris we saw it all from continuing trends of the season to ideas we’ve could never have imagined.  Here in Paris, fashion seems to take off to a whole other level with designers merging art and couture, the past with the future, and dreams with reality to bring us something forward and fresh for the fall/winter season of 2011.  It truly was a feast for the eyes and who doesn’t like to dine on fashion!  Take a deeper look at some of the collections from Paris.  Bon appétit!

Balmain
Strong, sexy, edgy, easy, carefree, rocker chic is what the Balmain girl is all about.  I don’t know a woman out there who doesn’t love Balmain and it’s no surprise because designer Christophe Decarnin always delivers a sexy collection that ends up in high demand.  This season, Balmain went 70’s glam rock with Ziggy Stardust as the inspiration.  The collection was looser than usual but just as sexy with fantastically hand embroidered jackets, miniskirts, jackets, pant, and dresses.  These pieces shined down the runway, richly embellished with the various mosaic, mirror, and ribbon detail.  We saw a new pant this season that was a bit loose, deeply cuffed, and cropped just below the knee.  Balmain’s famously strong shoulders were present of course as well as super skinny pants and touches of fur on some of the jackets and vests.  Balmain also showed jumpsuits and most impressive were the Swarovski crystal chainmail jumpsuits that absolutely shimmered.  Definitely another strong collection putting a little edge and shine into our fall/winter wardrobe.

Isabel Marant
Everyone’s favorite French woman did it again.  Isabel Marant, French designer known for her American sensibility, produced another collection of American inspired sportswear.  This time, the collection went Navajo with the inspiration coming from cucina dolls and the idea of the cowboys and Indians.  The American west could be seen in the prints, feathers, fringe, and patchwork denim that consisted of button-downs, vests, and oversize jackets.  The white jeans with red and black Navajo embroidery were cool and chic and we can’t forget the boots dripping with fringe!   Masculine overcoats layered over tiny silhouettes created an easy sex appeal as Marant explained how much more sexy a woman is when she is more covered up (don’t know about you, but I couldn’t agree more).  Jeans, coats, and slinky little dresses dominated the collection and it was all easy and simply irresistible.  There was an effortless cool about the collection and that is why Isabel Marant is so loved.  Leave it to Marant to inject a little western comfort into sportswear.

Chloé                 
Designer Hannah MacGibbon sure went out on limb this season with Chloé and we’re sure glad she did.  One word could sum up this collection and that was snakeskin.  Chloé was infused with a high dose of snakeskin, real and trompe l’oeil.  It was seen on almost everything from sweaters, shirt dresses, coats, and wide-leg trousers.  Entire pieces were made of the python inspired prints while some consisted of snakeskin paneling and patchwork.  Maybe it was a tad bit much, but it sure did make for a striking show.  A standout piece was the large and colorful poncho that walked down the runway mid show.  The collection had a 70’s feel with the streamlined, neutral-toned pieces as well as the few denim pieces and jumpsuit and fur combinations that exited towards the end.  MacGibbon’s fixation on python was quite the bold move.  Next fall/winter when we’re in the mood for something a little exotic, we’ll pull out the snakeskin patterns to liven things up!

Chanel        
Always a spectacle and always impressive, Chanel never fails to deliver us a great show along with great clothes.  This season, Karl Lagerfeld stated “the world is a dark place” in response to the backdrop of the collection which was shown in a fog-shrouded forest on a bed of still-smoldering scorched earth.  The models walked in and out of white light possibly suggesting a way out of this dark place.  The clothes themselves looked as though they had survived this apocalyptic/natural disaster themselves.  The jackets and coats looked moth-eaten or tattered as well as appearing ashy.  Lagerfeld applied a certain masculinity to the pieces but the feminine details were still there with the use of delicate fabrics.  There were many versions of pants from distressed denim leggings, to wide-legged and they were even worn under skirts and frock-coats.  The shadowy dark palette took on masculine proportions and for the evening wear went gothic with the black lace and jumpsuits.  The apocalyptic grandeur of it all was quite intriguing.  Lagerfeld has succeeded in finding that perfect balance between the classic Chanel qualities everyone knows and loves and that vibrant street chic that everyone craves nowadays.  With Chanel, you just can’t go wrong.  This edgy Chanel is what we want for next fall and winter!

For complete coverage of the Fall/Winter 2011 shows, parties, beauty, and street styles visit:
 http://www.style.com/

Katie Delaney is an art history major at the University of Illinois at Chicago. After recently moving to the windy city from the suburbs, she feels more in her element and plans on staying as long as she can. Besides a great love of art, Katie has a passion for fashion that can't be beat. With her own unique style, she is always searching through fashion magazines, blogs, and the streets for sources of inspiration to integrate into her own look. With her innate knack for style, she hopes to make her way into the fashion industry, ideally working at a magazine as a stylist or editor, contributing new ideas and taking the magazine to a whole other level. In her free time she enjoys shopping, drawing, painting, spending time with friends, relaxing with her cat, and curling up with a fresh magazine and a hot cup of coffee. Katie is also currently in the process of learning Italian and has plans of taking off to Italy after graduating to explore great artwork and the vibrant fashion scene.